Resolution switching at startup

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
omer666

Resolution switching at startup

Post by omer666 »

Hi !
I have been running Myth II on Macintosh (both OS 9 & OS X) for many years and as far as I know I could unable the resolution swith when starting the game by pressing some key at startup (can't remember which, whatever...).
I'm now on PC under Arch Linux and Myth II works flawlessly, but there is still something that troubles me... In fact I'm tired of resolution switching every time I go to the main menu or with cutscenes. Is there an option like on the Macintosh ? I think it is pointless to switch resolution so often...

And thank you Project Magma for maintaining what is still, even today, the best strategy game ever IMHO.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Resolution switching at startup

Post by Pyro »

The reason for the resolution switching is because the Myth interface is 640x480, even on a Mac all it is doing is having your screen use that resolution and changes it when in a game. The upcoming 1.7.2 update will have a way for that to be possible for Windows.
omer666

Post by omer666 »

Well I knew that the interface was 640x480 but even if thus I don't get it fullscreen, I'm fed up with resolution changing over and over again.

Thanks for the piece of news, I'll be waiting for the update.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

So wait, you have the game in fullscreen when in a game but out of it in windowed mode? Why not go to prefs and uncheck Windowed mode so it is fullscreen all the time?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

The 'no resolution switching' mode is a Mac-Only option. There is no way to avoid resolution switching on the Windows build, unless you

a) run the game at 640x480 all the time (I'm guessing you don't want to do that though ;)

b) run at your desktop resolution with 'windowed mode' enabled (this doesn't work on vista or win7 under 1.7.1, but will on 1.7.2)
omer666

Post by omer666 »

Pyro wrote:So wait, you have the game in fullscreen when in a game but out of it in windowed mode? Why not go to prefs and uncheck Windowed mode so it is fullscreen all the time?
I did not use the right words... in fact I say that it is not fullscreen because if the menu was displayed in 1280x1024 (for example), it wouldn't fill the screen, but eventualy on my computer it IS displayed fullscreen.
Sorry for my poor formulation.

Well windowed mode is a good solution, it kinda works for me.
Sorry for this Mac nostalgia...
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Are you on a desktop or laptop? If desktop, and you have an auto-adjust button on your monitor, press it while you have Myth running on the main menu in fullscreen. Laptops don't have that option or at least not any I've seen.