Script Verification Tool

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Script Verification Tool

Post by Pyro »

I never got to use Antero since by the time I started to really script it was already outdated. Not sure I would have a need for it, other than to check other people's scripts were they to ask for help in some way.

If this happens, I suggest the following:

1.) Make sure Antero can list all the actions that happen to have a "Debug Flag" or even a way to just remove them if the user chooses. Some scripters scatter them on their scripts and then forget to remove them. So when a player plays the map, you get like a 17 MB myth log from it and don't even notice it.
*ACTION DEFINED MORE THAN ONCE. This is allowable in Loathing, but whatever you do, don't re-import your map-actions script as it will get it wrong.
2.) Does that mean if there are more than one of the same action? Or the same action being triggered more than once? Whatever the case, Antero should warn the user if there are any actions with the same name. They should have unique names so importing them won't break anything.

3.) Warn the user if there is a GEOM without a Monsters (subj) parameter if the results are being linked/sent to an action that gets used. If the action is never referenced then it doesn't matter afterall. Geometry Filters have a habit of not properly producing results if it doesn't have at least one unit in a Monsters (subj) parameter. It can be a unit that will be filtered out. So if you are looking for all team 1 units, you can have a subj with a team 0 or even -1 unit. Just as long as there is one it will work.

4.) The 1.7.2 version of Loathing won't allow users to use [ ] { } characters for an action's name. It might be wise for Antero to make sure they don't have them in the name of actions as well. Or else the user might try to import it and not know why they are having issues.
* RESULTS ACTION & GROUP UNIT CONTAINER ARRAY. These statements should link to NONE-type actions.
5.) Is this one of the old limitations that would be removed from Antero? If not, it should, as GEOMs work fine if the results are being fed to other actions, even if they are not NONE type actions.
* EMPTY STATEMENTS. Such as "Activates on Success" but no values. At the very least this shows where your script is incomplete. At worst, the value could be a needed one (like Facing in a Platoon) that could cause real problems if not fixed.
6.) Not all empty statements are bad. Some parameters are true or false by default for example. So they can remain empty and still function.

7.) More checks for GEOMs maybe. Certain parameters do not play well with others. So if you are trying to filter units from team 2 of monster type "abcd" having the Team Index and Monster Type parameters in the same GEOM will not work out.

That is all I can think of at this moment.
Welly

Post by Welly »

vinylrake wrote:
GodzFire wrote:Please post this Sanity/Ferret app
good luck, i've been trying to prod Baak into releasing this for years.

<prod><prod>

ps. it's an amazing thing btw. i've been dreaming about it since i first heard of it.
Me and Godz collect myth utils. I'd be interested in anything new or old simply for the sake of my bizarre collection hobby. Also, what in the name of Jesus Haploid Christ is the Amber for MacOSX? I'm absolutely finished with using SheepShaver to open classic simply to look at collection files. Please let me know.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Amber lets you import/replace images in your collections.

though you can use it to set up your animation cells for unit collections, and it has some colortable/alphachannel features, I used to use it just for importing overheads and pregame 'splash' screens. It did that a lot better/easier(aka in a more bug free way) than Fear did.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Oak, is the Amber for OSX.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

ah sorry. i didn't read close enough.