annoying tags problem

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Tireces

annoying tags problem

Post by Tireces »

Got some proly n00b question.
Hmmm I recently installed 1.7.1 on one of my laptops. Ive altered some original M2 meshes and tags - then Ive deleted whole local folder to undo all changes. However altered tags are still there O.o - meshesh show up on levels list and tags show up when I click "build plug in" in fear. It never happend to me before. With previous patches deleting local folder always helped. Is it connected to 1.7.1 somehow or is it just some random bug ? I guess I have to find altered tags in fear and remove em manualy, one by one ehhh ... or is there some other way?
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Fury IX

Re: annoying tags problem

Post by Fury IX »

Vista makes a virtual folder to store stuff, making it tough to work with. I'm not entirely sure, hopefully someone else knows better, but you either need to find this virtual folder or hand delete...
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

not sure if you are working on vista or windows 7, but if you are, same thing happened to me and they told me you need to right click on fear or loathing or oak to open and select "run as administrator"
that's the only way you can make changes to the folders
if not they just create a temporal folder without changing your tags...
you can also select in properties to open always as administrator those programs
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Both Windows Vista and Windows 7 by default do not allow programs to create files inside the Program Files and Windows folders. When a program tries to do this, instead of doing it like in the past, it creates the file in the VirtualStore folder. Which is found in the AppData folder within the Users folder. If the folder you are in has had a file created into the VirtualStore, the Compatibility Files button will show up in the toolbar above.

This image shows you the "Compatibility Files" button. Go to your Myth II folder and click on that button. It will take you to that folder's VirtualStore. Any files you create with Myth, Fear, or Loathing (or any other program) will go to such a place, including plugins and recordings.

Keep in mind, if you have a file with the same name on the real folder and another one with the same name in the VirtualStore folder, you will have issues. You should likely remove them from the real folder and leave it in the VirtualStore. That is assuming the file deals with modifying stuff like tags in the local folder. If the file is a plugin or recording that won't be modified, copy/paste it from the VirtualStore to the real folder.

--------------------
If you would rather not have to deal with the VirtualStore, there are three ways to disable the Compatibility Files feature.

1) You can install (or move) your Myth II folder outside of the Program Files folder, like in your root directory "C:\".

2) You can run Myth, Fear, and Loathing as administrator. Right click properties on those you plan to use. Go to the Compatibility tab and check the "Run this program as an administrator". Click Ok.

3) Right click properties on the Myth II folder. Go to the Security tab and click on the Edit button to change permissions. A new window will appear, select "CREATOR OWNER". Now on the bottom check the box under the Allow column for Full Control. Click OK. This will allow any program to create and modify files into that folder like it did in the old days.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Thank guys, hehe I still live in XP era ;) but that was laptop with vista...

Ive moved Myth II folder from program files just like Pyro said - and voila ! : )
"As long as a single one of us stands..."