Chimera - Is this all to it?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Chris B.

Post by Chris B. »

Wow. I just downloaded Chimera off the net for the first time in years. To tell the truth, the plugin is possibly the most polished Myth plugin out there. Most people that play Myth (Practically everybody that does) do not have this plugin in their Myth plugins folder. I say everyone needs one. And it brings to mind that this site is a development site... I highly recommend either a continuing project with the Chimera series or at least an update for it. I think the main reason no one has it (other than it's freaking old!) is that there are very few links to get it. It works on 1.5 really well (If you aren't bothered by the interface switch, which it always did) and seems to me to be the best, highest quality Myth II levelpack available. I know you all have done the interface thingy in the DL section, but it seems to me this game add on deserves something more. Up to you all... :D
Philmac

Post by Philmac »

Umm... maybe it's the most polished plugin because it was made by Bungie? It is the offocial expansion (no idea why) to Myth II: Soulblighter.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Actually, it was made by the then third party mapmaking group Badlands and published by Bungie. Four members of Badlands then went on to become Bungie employees. Badlands got some help from Bungie, but I don't think anybody in Bungie was credited with the actual work (other than the advice kind).
Mauglir
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I came across a neat egg in the Myth 2 collections....i think the tain bridges collection is the one....in there is the badlands logo in one of the sequences. this is the original m2 game....so my question is...how did badlands have a logo and all, prior to them making anything for the game? (since it wasnt out yet) something to ponder on. As for it being the _best_ 3rd party plugin.....I'd say its great, but no, not the best. You've got alot more digging to find THE BEST plugins :D

As for these guys messing with it for updates.....it's not their original work, and that doesnt really give them flexability on editing the plug and re-releasing it with their name....something like stealing mb. What problems do you have in mind though? It seems a pretty solid bug free plug to me :o
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Okay a little more history:

Badlands was a mapamking group back in the TFL days when there weren't even any real tools to speak of. Badlands produced some multi-player maps for TFL, Bungie saw them and liked them enough to hire Badlands to do the multi-player maps for Myth II. Yes, all of the standard Myth II multi-player maps were made by members of the Myth community. Bungie still did all the solo stuff as far as I know though.

There's a lot more to the history of Myth mapmaking and you can still find snipets of some of it in old forums and mostly dead sites. There's the ill-fated Daimyo Project, the leaking of Bungie's tools to the outside world, the rivalries between Vista, Badlands, and Creation, the rise and fall of the Mill (on more than one occasion) as the birth and death of dozens of other groups, websites, and projects. It's all very interesting and more than a little melodramatic at times.

Looking back, I wish I got involved in mapmaking a lot sooner when the community was still young. A lot of the plug-ins people play today have become standards simply because they were released at a time when there was very little third party content (and thousands of players).

Edited By mauglir on 1088514293
Mauglir
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Ah yes, Maug. Your posts make wish I had gotten involved sooner too. One tidbit you forgot to mention in your Chimera/Badlands history is that mcd, a member of Project Magma for over a year, was one of the people who worked on Chimera.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

You forgot Anictoyte!!! ANICTOYLTE!!!!