Myth TFL Issue

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Xplod_

Myth TFL Issue

Post by Xplod_ »

Hello everyone, , i just started playing Myth TFL again and im playing on my new vista laptop. i looked up some info and i figured it would need some sort of patching or updates being such an old game, etc. anyways i found out the 1.5 patch or new version on projectmagma would enable me to play, and it HAS, however whenever I win the first mission, or hit restart it boots me back to the desktop... its very weird. I am wondering if I need to move it into a different file, or if i did something wrong. i'm new to the site but im a dedicated player (or was) so if anyone could help you would have a greatful mate :)

ive already posted in the mariusnet forums and have been directed here, it was already suggested i post my myth_log so I will do it here as well if it will be any indication as to what the problem might be.

2010-06-16 19:53:57
Myth: TFL Build 264 running under Modern Windows 6.000000 ----------------------------------------------
Error: File system General in .\Myth1Code\tag_files.c, line #3495: Unable to open a file to check if it is a tag file (is tagedit or extractor open?) Err: 32
Error: File system General in .\Myth1Code\tag_files.c, line #3478: File Myth_TFL.exe in the externals folder offsets are bad!
Error: File system General in .\Myth1Code\tag_files.c, line #3478: File Myth_TFL_old.exe in the externals folder offsets are bad!
Error: File system General in .\Myth1Code\tag_files.c, line #3483: File Readme_1.5.pdf in the externals folder has invalid flags!
Error: File system General in .\Myth1Code\tag_files.c, line #3478: File Smackw32.dll in the externals folder offsets are bad!
Error: File system General in .\Myth1Code\tag_files.c, line #3495: Unable to open a file to check if it is a tag file (is tagedit or extractor open?) Err: 5
Using Max Resolution Size x:1366 y:768

Mouse appears to have 7 buttons and 3 axes.

Xplod_

Re: Myth TFL Issue

Post by Xplod_ »

i dont mean to nag but im really wanting to play myth and this stupid glitch is really bothering me so if anyone could help me or point me to someone who can i greatly appreciate it
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

It hasn't even been a day yet since you first posted.....

Anyway, use M2 and play TFLevels in vTFL Mode, which is essentially exactly the same as if you were playing M1. You can grab The Fallen Levels here: http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/t ... -levels-v2

The M1 program hasn't been updated in a very long time, while M2 is being constantly maintained.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Heh, I've told him as much in the Mnet thread where he originally posted. Maybe he doesn't have M2 or doesn't think it is the same.

Xplod, have you tried changing your rendering option in TFL's prefs or updating your graphics drivers like I asked back on Mnet? So does this issue of yours only happen at the end of a game? So you can still play through the campaign?
Xplod_

Post by Xplod_ »

ill try with the rendering like u said, but no it kicks me to desktop each time i complete a MISSION, so its impossible to get past the crows bridge level... its a true pain. believe me if i could just play the campaign id be happy lol
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Hold down Spacebar when picking "New Game". That should at the very least allow you to progress through the campaign one map at a time.

Have a little patience and I'm sure one of the developers will come by with some suggestions. (Pyro is not a developer, just a very dedicated helper.)
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hi Xplod,

Others have mentioned using Myth II with The Fallen Levels. This is what we recommend, because Myth TFL is no longer being updated. That means if you can't get it working, you're basically SOL. Myth II on the other hand is constantly updated.

If this is not an option and you must use TFL, here are a few things you could do:

-Try disabling aero and window animations.
-Try the various compatibility modes that windows provides.
-Try running the old version (1.3) using TFLLauncher

Worst case scenario you could do what Graydon said (above), and force the new level instead of getting there from the previous one.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

:idea: The TFL 1.3 update ought to be on The Tain, with the tfllauncher.zip file in the same download as the 1.3 update for Windows.
Xplod_

Post by Xplod_ »

thanks everyone for the responses, and im willing to try whatever I have to to get this running! if all else fails, yes I will order a copy of myth II SB, however I still have a lot of playability in the original myth, and since I already have the game, manual, etc. id VERY much prefer being able to play this.

ive done the space bar (force) level and that works, however its just not the same and im sure u all understand, however it is nice. ive tried almost every compatability mode, however im not sure how to disable the aero and windows animations u talked about? but if u could explain i will def. try.

finally, idk if this has anything to do with it, but when i load the game, it opens in a VERY small window surrounded by black, then when the mission starts spreads out to cover the whole screen, i feel like when the mission ends or restarts it has to re-adjust and causes the crash.. maybe im crazy but it does seem odd the main menu is in such a small awkward window while the game runs fine on the large picture. once again, thanks all for the help thus far
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Check in Preferences, there might/should be a 'windowed' option? Try ticking it and see if that resolves the whole issue?? Longshot that the fix would be this simple.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

TFL does not have a windowed mode like Myth 2 has nowadays. The reason TFL is small is because it is using 640x480 resolusion. Same thing happens for the rest of us. At least for windows users, don't know if it is different for mac users. And yes you are likely correct that the crash deals with the game trying to go back to 640x480 resolution.

As for how to disable aero, google helps. To disable window animation effects do the following:

Click Start, right click on Computer, and click Properties.
Click Advanced System Settings.
Click on the Advanced tab. Under Performance, click Settings.

Then you can uncheck some boxes like "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing". I think that is the only box you can check that could matter for Myth, specially if you already disabled Aero. Click Ok and you are done.

Again I repeat, I wonder if an updated graphics driver could help. And how can you not have Myth 2?! :shock: You can always find a cheap copy on eBay or Amazon.
Xplod_

Post by Xplod_ »

I GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P

i went to preferences and changed the rendering from 3dfx or w/e to Software... and it now runs and I can complete missions....

i read the manual and it said u shud only use software if u have an old or inferior computer which I do not have... however its working now? I still have high resolution checked so this wont take away from the overall graphics of the game right?

im just so happy, thanks everyone for all the help and it didnt make sense if it was a graphics issue it would allow me to load and play, then crash after i win... but we got it!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

You don't even have OpenGL rendering as an option? (assuming you are on 1.5)

I had suggested changing your rendering option back in the Mnet thread! It does make sense if it was a graphics issue even if it would allow you to load and play. There are different kinds of graphics related issues.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

You are missing out on some of the new features of Myth II, though, so I'd suggest ordering a copy still. :)
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD