DoD Bug With Explosion Limit

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
GodzFire

DoD Bug With Explosion Limit

Post by GodzFire »

On a recent DoD rcGold Legendary game, we made it to the Watcher is his Black Thrall army. Zoso did a single Mazz pop, which proceeded to go out of control, multiplying to the point where it completely maxed out the Explosion limit which made any explosive damage not happen, (note other types of damage, such as slashing or kinetic still worked).

Melekor and Myrd expressed some interest in what happened, so I am uploading the film as well as the MA Debugging Log, which I turned on around the time the Black Thrall showed up. I'd like to know if possible what could be done to stop this from happening in the future, since I've heard this happened on more than one occasion.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: DoD Bug With Explosion Limit

Post by Pyro »

Less explosions... that's usually what people do to prevent this issue.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

In this situation though Pyro, I can't see how that's possible. Dreams multiply. As Godz has mentioned, sometimes out of control. As you know, black thrall usually take a couple hits from a dream pop to kill them, so chances of a huge army catching the whole pop is quite probable. I used to see this occur in Mazz, not regularly, but enough to know it can happen without too much manipulative effort. Only solution I can see is raising limits (agaIn.)
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I think raising the explosions limit to 50 works.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

next time that happens hit them with chain lighting so it at least stops.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

there are two ways to deal with limits

1. Limit your map design
2. raise the limits
10 years into the game, we don't need such limits, so I'm saying raise the god damn limits. I wonder how fast a core i7 loads myth...
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

the limits you mention might be unnecessary, but look what happened when mapmakers started thinking without limits and created those gorgeous high rez units? all of a sudden there's a great divide where a portion of the population with brand new computers can't play without 20-second-between-screen-refresh slide shows.

imo, it's still worth figuring out how changing limits effects the playability of the game for people on different platforms/os'es.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Limiting your map design was something everyone has to do no matter how many times the limits are raised. They are there for a reason. Just imagine what would happen if someone created something and later found out most people couldn't play it? They might be disappointed to find out they wasted a lot of time on that.
Topsy Kretz

Post by Topsy Kretz »

Way rusty here, and not sure of the exact attack you`re talking about, but I had an dream-like attack on some past map/test/fOOking around with Fear, that would expand farther and longer than I wanted. I seem to recall messing with the Nearby Target Radius Flag in the Projectile Tag in Fear?? There is also the flag to Exlude Nearby Target Radius, though I don`t recall ever messing with this particular flag before. Also, tweaking the Delay Flag Variables may also help??

::looks around for lank to step in and explain all the mysteries of Fear::
"Do you want to be healed, now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Topsy Kretz wrote:::looks around for lank to step in and explain all the mysteries of Fear::
Lank might not be appearing anytime soon. Lank said this about a month ago over at the OoH forums.
in short, this is goodbye - for now or for ever i don't know, and i don't want to rule anything out. i don't know if or when i'll have the space and time to play myth again, let alone with any of you who still play. in fact, i haven't touched any computer game since late january!
As for reasons, he had two.
1) PhD work
2) a girl
Phex

Post by Phex »

Off-topic:
Zeph wrote:I wonder how fast a core i7 loads myth...
...it takes about 1 second.