Myth Font Information

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Re: Myth Font Information

Post by vinylrake »

not an exact match, but these are all similar looking (the left sidebar lists 30 similar looking fonts)

http://www.identifont.com/identify?16+G ... G39+A0+U+M
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

vinylrake wrote:not an exact match, but these are all similar looking (the left sidebar lists 30 similar looking fonts)

http://www.identifont.com/identify?16+G ... G39+A0+U+M
I looked at all those fonts, none of them have the 2 main things I noticed about the pregame font, all the letters are capitalized and the 'capital' ones are centered, rather then just being taller.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Infininight might know.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Jon God wrote:I looked at all those fonts, none of them have the 2 main things I noticed about the pregame font, all the letters are capitalized and the 'capital' ones are centered, rather then just being taller.
the lower letters being capitalized can easily be done in any Word processing or graphics program by just using all caps and using a different size font for the Leading cap and the rest of a word (nothing you didn't know) - the centering would be more involved because you'd probably have to change the width/padding/leading of each cap and then select 'centered' alignment so it would center each letter within the space alloted for the letter. probably a major pain in the neck if you have more than a handful of words to capitalize, although once you figure out the details you could save the tweaks as a style.

of course it would be much easier to use a font that already did those things.

hmmm... http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont - i cropped the image you gave and uploaded it, and eyeball comparison looks like griffoclassico-sc is pretty close. Though still not exact.

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/g ... assico-sc/
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Melekor wrote:Does anyone know what bungie used to render the original fonts?
What's this stuff about rendering fonts? You mean fonts aren't just "embedded" in the code of applications and instead different libraries have to be used to even display them?

How is that info not in the Myth source..? This is interesting to me.

And while I'm asking stuff, where did you get the Going to Town image Jon? It's not in the plug on the Tain..
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Pregames are images, they have words on them in the image rather than over the image, therefore it can't be altered via the code in any way.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Isolder wrote:
Melekor wrote:Does anyone know what bungie used to render the original fonts?
What's this stuff about rendering fonts? You mean fonts aren't just "embedded" in the code of applications and instead different libraries have to be used to even display them?

How is that info not in the Myth source..? This is interesting to me.
Most fonts you'd use in a word processor or in photoshop are vector fonts, which means the font file contains a mathematical description of each letter that can be used to draw it as a picture ("render") it at any size.

Myth fonts on the other hand are bitmap fonts. That means myth font files contain a tiny little picture of each letter, pre-rendered at a specific size.

What I'm referring to in the above quote is that we don't know which library or API was used to render the bitmap fonts that ship with the game (from their vector versions). I guess the most likely answer is the old Mac OS API (pre OSX).
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Jon God wrote:Anyone know what the pregame level name font is?

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... ToTown.jpg
(Going To Town)
Isn't that just Hiroshige again, in small-cap?

compare:
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Melekor wrote:What I'm referring to in the above quote is that we don't know which library or API was used to render the bitmap fonts that ship with the game (from their vector versions). I guess the most likely answer is the old Mac OS API (pre OSX).
Assuming they didn't use a bitmap font to begin with. Back in the days, not all fonts were vector-based.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Myrd wrote:Assuming they didn't use a bitmap font to begin with. Back in the days, not all fonts were vector-based.
True, but a complex font like Hiroshige would never be distributed as a bitmap font, so we can reliably assume that.
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Pyro wrote:Pregames are images, they have words on them in the image rather than over the image, therefore it can't be altered via the code in any way.
Yeah I know that was a picture so there would be no font there. I was referring to the other stuff they were discussing like in server lobby, game text, etc. :)

I didn't know about bitmap fonts so just thought they'd have the vector fonts embedded.

[edit]Melekor[/edit]: In the Linotype Hiroshige page you linked which of those is the one you used to make the comparison image? It's interesting to me that the pregame maker went to the trouble of sizing down a capital "T" to lowercase for "to". I say that because none of the fonts in the Linotype page show a capital-style lowercase T. Nice little touch, I guess.
Atlyx

Post by Atlyx »

Hey everyone!

To the best of my knowledge, the font used for the Myth main logos is a combination of fonts.

In "THE FALLEN LORDS" the fonts are as follows (all caps):

T - Manson, 4/5 the font size of the other letters, 75% horizontal value
H - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value
E - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value

F - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value
A - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value
L - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value
E - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value
N - Unknown

O - Morpheus, Smaller than other letters, slightly bigger horizontal value (think 85%), raise this letter upward.
R - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value
D - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value
S - Manson, Regular Size, 75% horizontal value

The resulting combination of these fonts and settings will result in how the text looks here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0__AHbp ... OwenSpence

Something to note is that while I don't know what font the N uses in the main logo, if you have the jewel case for the game, you'll see that the N used on the spine of the game also uses the Manson font. This is also true of the Fallen Lords soundtrack CD.

Hope this helps!
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

That's pretty neat, thanks for sharing. For a moment, I forgot about this topic, and was thinking of the logo, and in my head I went "that's custom.... right?"
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Jestrel

Post by Jestrel »

Yeah! As far as I can tell, that's Georgia, with a drop cap G. I was looking into the font Myth uses in game on maps and stuff and that seems like what Bungie used most often

Edit: nevermind, looks like you guys solved it lol

(incidentally, it's fucking crazy to me that a thread I made a lifetime ago is still getting some traction)