HD Label Misuse

Talk about anything here.
Zeph

Re: HD Label Misuse

Post by Zeph »

vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i like words to mean things. it's even better when words have commonly accepted/agreed-upon definitions. it helps communication be more effective.

anyone else notice this discussion of whether or not TWindA can/should be called 'HD' kind of mirrors earlier discussion(s) about whether or not TWindA can/should be called "Myth 4"? PLEASE don't start discussing the M4 naming issue, it doesn't need to be commented on further, I did not mention it so people could start re-beating that dead horse, I just noticed a similarity in the two discussions.
sillek

Post by sillek »

Why does it have to have any label at all ? Why does it have to be high def or high res ? Can't it just simply be "Map Name" ? Should I put "SD" onto my meshes names ?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Death's Avatar wrote:Quit being a pedant...
Quit being indolent...
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

You can watch a black and white movie in High Def if it was shot with an HD camera.

True color is maybe what you are thinking of.

And EVREYTHING on the screen is HD in our Demo, unless there are house models on it. And if we ever make higher res textures for models with the new size limit they would fit right in with all the other HD imagery.
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

This topic is pointless.

In the end, even if one person convinces another, nearly nothing changes, so why are we arguing about it?
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

The only reason I can tell that this thread exists is because Pyro likes arguing. Zeph hit the nail on the head.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

oogaBooga wrote:The only reason I can tell that this thread exists is because Pyro likes arguing. Zeph hit the nail on the head.
No, I do not like arguing, and I don't know where you get that from. I was noticing carlinho use the term "HD", so I figured I state what I know of HD and see if I might be missing something for its meaning.

Ironic, you say that about Zeph when he at times likes to instigate people in various threads. Well, maybe Zeph doesn't always do it on purpose, but this is just one of those times or at least it appears to be. If no one cared, this thread and all its posts would not have existed.

I stated what I know of the term. I got some people to express their opinions about it. I knew not everyone would agree, but I didn't think anyone would be that sensitive about it. For the record, I didn't mean for people to get their feelings hurt.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Renwood wrote:You can watch a black and white movie in High Def if it was shot with an HD camera.
Actually most black-and-white films (or most films period) in existence are shot on analogue film, so they can easily be encoded into 1080p etc. with the right equipment. Some older film-reels won't look any better, or require tons of remastering, but that's certainly me adding to the pedantic aspects here :)

But when it comes down to it, there isn't really such a thing as "High Definition" beyond the purely subjective terms. What people are thinking of are HDTV, or HDMI, neither of which are being used to describe the TWindA demo. HDTV is the set of standards that define 1080p etc., while HDMI defines a mechanism to carry the data (along with audio and some other stuff).

The closest thing is 24p (sometimes named as "HiDef"), which refers really to ~24 frames per second video capture, but that's technically of an unlimited theoretical size.

So HD is a perfectly valid label, though IMO it's not really necessary.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
sillek

Post by sillek »

haravikk wrote: though IMO it's not really necessary.
Rgr.
"Pyrosucks"]For the record, I didn't mean for people to get their feelings hurt.
Too late. You've already deeply upset me and it's going to take quite some time for me to recover from these wounds. I'm going to go watch TV on my 80's TV-Wristwatch now.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

HD is useless anyways, I play myth zoomed out and the units were not made to be shown with lots of details.

Oh yea, I can't play HD with a top of the line imac, yeh
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

Zeph wrote:Oh yea, I can't play HD with a top of the line imac, yeh
This is believed to be caused by certain video cards in imacs and a few other types of macs. :shrug: Sorry.
Point

Post by Point »

HD like myth 4 are both miss labels no question or debate needed to know that... though hey par for the course...

if we look at the renders.... Carlinos units are high resolution and textured....
wind age are mostly just higher resolution untextured, truly there is no bonus in having a higher resolution on a dwarf with a plastic looking yellow beard... come on people use some texture mapping if your going to use that many pixels. ... :)

High Resolution Maps a good thing...

and texture maps on higher resolution units renders are what should be the standard if you want stuff to look perty...

as for me i'd say relax on the resolution make the game play great...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

HD like myth 4 are both miss labels no question or debate needed to know that... though hey par for the course...
Point, kindly shut the fuck up.
wind age are mostly just higher resolution untextured
Wrong. They are completely textured.

Cease from re-iterating your broken-record spiel about how you don't like the name.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

NEW MYTH IDEA:

Myth (insert desired number here): The Debate Age.

I can hardly believe what I have just witnessed. As we approached the village of Willow Creek, we saw what appeared to be a band of politicians bloviating to the peasantry. If only it had been so. We rushed to the fray and were able to save a handful of people from the wretched quarrels of the talking dead.
The cake is a lie.