DO IT>>> :)

Talk about anything here.
ozone

DO IT>>> :)

Post by ozone »

vinylrake

Re: DO IT>>> :)

Post by vinylrake »

unfortunately the iPad (s00kiest product name ever?) doesn't run on Intel OR Motorola (pre Intel Mac chip) chips so any porting would be a pretty substantial undertaking - e.g. rewrite.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Besides which, I'm still unconvinced that touch-controls would do much justice to the Myth control scheme, just as with the iPhone (which also has screen-size as an issue); at the minimum you need camera forward, back, and orbit left/right, this could possibly be done by the accelerometer, but I'd expect that to get annoying fast as you'd be doing it by accident all the time.

Zoom-in/out could be done with the pinch-gesture, though it doesn't map intuitively onto it as the Myth zoom isn't a straight movement.

You then have special-attacks, ground attacks, band-selecting (clunkier using fingers), presets, formations, overhead map, etc. etc., all gets to be a bit much when you have a control-scheme that while great for a lot of things, is still fundamentally limited compared with a full set of keys.

Porting the code by comparison would probably be easier, since we already support OS X, and the iPhone OS has much of the same APIs in slightly different forms.

In an unrelated note though; the pricing on those things is sweet, I've been holding off on an iPhone due to the high price of pay-as-you-go (about £400 to get the phone), but for maybe £600-650 I ought to be able to get the 64gb iPad with 3G instead. Obviously it won't have much going for it as a phone, but my current phone works just find anyway, and I'd totally only use the iPad for wandering around the house anyway.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
ozone

Post by ozone »

I think the game would be better with touch screen and the accelerometer stuff... I for one can totally see it.
do it.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Har they have keyboard hookup accessories coming. No need for touch. Yeah IPAD sounds a little Menstrual. I agree with VR
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

well i never said it sounded menstrual - though everyone else on teh interntz already has. it's too bad steve didn't have his vision thing a little earlier - how hard must he be kicking himself or whoever decided to call the laptops 'iBook's - it would have been the perfect name. besides the obvious connotations, 'iPad' just sounds like some kind of lame wii attachment you do wii-yoga on or something.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Whatever man, I still want to play myth on it.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Deqlyn wrote:Har they have keyboard hookup accessories coming. No need for touch. Yeah IPAD sounds a little Menstrual. I agree with VR
How many people are going to bother with those when the on-screen keyboards are free? I quite like the iPhone one, despite it's awkward size, so the one on the iPad ought to be perfect, especially for the type of device it is. I think it'd be unrealistic to port a game based on accessories people could buy, or would need to buy to play the game.

There's also the issue that to get it out to people the game would need to be put on the app-store, if it was distributed for free (which would have to be the case), then you're still left with the problem of how do people get the tag-files, as they can't be distributed for free.

I don't wanna be a downer, but I don't believe the game would be much fun to play with the available controls, or that it has much of a chance of getting out there without involvement from Take 2, who would be more likely to just pull the game out from under us and do it themselves.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

who said an exact copy of myth?

What if we make a new game based on myth tags ? This way we can still create stuff in Oak
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

if you mean 'create a new game based on the same tag STRUCTURE as Myth II you'd probably be ok, but if you base it on bungie created Myth II tags you'd be in deep doodoo.

of course if you DID create a game that could read the same tag structures there wouldn't be anything stopping someone from using the Myth II tag files - you just ccouldn't distribute them with the game.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I've never been keen on the idea of Myth on a touch-screen. It could be done, I'm sure, but it would be awkward. As for the attachments idea…well, hook a keyboard to the iPad, and what have you got? A laptop. Why not just use a real laptop if you have to lug around a keyboard along with it? It's mean to be a mobile device.
The cake is a lie.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

vinylrake wrote:if you mean 'create a new game based on the same tag STRUCTURE as Myth II you'd probably be ok, but if you base it on bungie created Myth II tags you'd be in deep doodoo.

of course if you DID create a game that could read the same tag structures there wouldn't be anything stopping someone from using the Myth II tag files - you just ccouldn't distribute them with the game.
YOu guys are thinking about way-too-far-into-the-future technical details.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Well, if you want to be practical, what's the point of porting/recreating Myth on the iPhad? With a 1GHz CPU and low end graphics there's no way it's going to be able to play Myth2:TWindA anyways.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

vinylrake wrote:Well, if you want to be practical, what's the point of porting/recreating Myth on the iPhad? With a 1GHz CPU and low end graphics there's no way it's going to be able to play Myth2:TWindA anyways.
It's not the only plugin the Myth community has :P
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

haravikk wrote:...It's not the only plugin the Myth community has :P
That's not what I heard.