Moniter

Talk about anything here.
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

I just bought a new moniter, a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF for my mac g4. When I attempt to play myth 2 with any patches (1.3, 1.4, and 1.5) it just shows a black screen upon startup. the music is still playing, so its obviously a problem with the moniter. I am unable to play on OS9.2 or OSX, though OS9.2 is my preference. This isn't specifically applied to 1.5, but I havn't gotten any responses at Playmyth and I assume you guys know alot more about computers than I do, so maybe I can get some help here.

Much Obliged, Morphine
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

hmm. What happens if you start Myth with the option key held down and choose Windowed mode? You can only do this on OSX btw.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

it works, but i'd rather
A) Play full screen
B) Play on OS9.2 because it can use the Rave engine which i like more than OpenGL
if possible.

eddeweaver suggested (over on the pmnet forums) that I try setting the hertz lower, is this something I should try out? Im a little tired right now, and i have no idea who he is so i dont know if he knows his computers and if its worth checking out (im lazy and tired right now).
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

The Hertz settings thing seems like a very likely culprit to me. Or possible, you Monitor doesnt support 640 * 480 resolution. In which case, the lobby wouldnt work in full screen mode. But if you log in in windowed mode, then go to preferences, and change the resolution in there to something like 800 * 600 or higher, you should be able to play. You would still have to be in windowed mode in the lobby, but in game, it would switch to full mode. (this is how i usually play btw)
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

if you select "windowed mode" in that first pannel you don't need to play in windowed mode...

the screen selection for the game is in preferences... just don't select windowed mode there

also, in that screen you get by option-starting, deselect "change resolutions"
if it's the problem Taurus described that should do the trick too
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

thanks! ok, so if I want to use it in OS9, I should go to the control panels and moniters/sound and set the screen resolution to 1600 by 1200 on 60 Hertz (it was on 75 before, the only other option is at 60) and try it then?
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

I'd try what BB suggested first, open Myth while holding alt (option) and deselecting the "Switch resolution" box and seeing if that works.
If not then yeah, choosing a resolution with a lower Hz setting could do it for you as well
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

tried that haravikk, as well as setting res/hertz to lowest setting, still didn't work though :(
I can do the windows mode in osx, i'd just hugely prefer playing in os9 because my fps is 80-400 as opposed to 10 on openGL

any other ideas?
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

play in osX but with software mode on...

then no os9 needed and still no openGL used
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

I want os9 is the point. Softwear mode has terrible graphics, OpenGL is slow and a pain to use, and RAVE owns. Softwear....Well, i wont even include in in this: but heres a question: which would you rather: reaction lag 3-10fps, or completely smooth at 80-200fps? Personally, I like the second.
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

Ok, got it, and it was so obvious im a little embarresed, but thanks for all your help guys! heres what i had to do: start myth holding the options key. When it starts, theres the options plus the 2 boxes, one big and one small. it was clicked on the small one, so I clicked on the big one and it worked. Thanks for all your help guys!

PS: I donno if I ever said this, and I should since I was a major dissentor of 1.5. THE FINEL ROCKS!!! i love it, fc1 and b2 kinda fucked me over, so i was a bit apprehensive about the finel, but it totally pulled everything together, and made it 10000x better than before. Great job guys
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

Humm...I posted this before playing a game, it got me as far as the lobby and mutliplayer. Then when I tried to play a game in mutli, it went black. I tried playing a solo game as well, and that was also black. the noise could be heard, so it was the same as the problem i had before, just in a diff place.
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

Ok. I got it! it was a problem with my graphics card or something I think. anyway, heres what to do

1) Start Myth with options key held down.
2) If you have a graphics card that can support multiple screens (even if you only have one screen set up), select whichever one is not the default one
3) Once the game is started, go to prefs
4) In prefs, it should give you 4 options: softwear screen 1, softwear screen 2, RAVE screen 1, Rave screen 2. If, when you started, you clicked on the big box, thats screen 2. so, make sure its selected to Rave Screen 2. If when you started you clicked on the small box, thats screen 1, so make sure its selected to RAVE screen 1. This method require you switch every time you start myth, but it works. Once you've done that, it should work
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Hmm, Myth should save your screen settings so that you don't have to switch every time you play. Could be a bug with saving of screen preferences, or something that should definitely be hammered down when 1.5.1 comes out
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Morphine

Post by Morphine »

It saves the thing that I picked in prefs (screen 1 or 2) but it doesn't save the screen i picked in options. But I dont mind spending an extra 10 seconds every time I play myth, not really a big deal, so 1.5 still owns :)