Does anyone use the "Windows Classic" build?

Talk about anything here.

Which Windows binary do you run?

Windows Modern
73%
Windows Classic
27%

Total votes: 15

Melekor
Site Admin

Does anyone use the "Windows Classic" build?

Post by Melekor »

For those of you who use the classic build, could you please tell me:

-What doesn't work for you in the modern build.
-Your OS and system specs.

Thanks!

EDIT: The purpose of this thread is so I can fix the issues and hopefully allow some more people to migrate to the modern version.
Last edited by Melekor on Thu May 21, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Isn't it the only option for Win98/ME?
Baak

Post by Baak »

I had problems with Windowed mode on XPPro with my previous video card. I think it was the alt-tab-back-to-desktop that didn't work.

I'll test it tonight when I get back from work to see if the problem still persists. I have a better video card now.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Myrd wrote:Isn't it the only option for Win98/ME?
I don't know about Windows 95/98 although I doubt the modern build works on them, but it does seem to work on WinME. But there is one significant bug: when alt tabbing to desktop from full screen, the CPU will be absolutely drowned unless the "Max FPS" option is selected in the preferences. This is independent of rendering mode and "Run As High Priority". Even capping the FPS to 300 stops the CPU from being flooded.

Another issue is the Gamma setting in the Preferences carries over to the desktop when alt tabbing from Direct3D mode.

This is with an old Matrox card.

The Classic build seems more reliable.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Eddaweaver wrote:there is one significant bug: when alt tabbing to desktop from full screen, the CPU will be absolutely drowned unless the "Max FPS" option is selected in the preferences. This is independent of rendering mode and "Run As High Priority". Even capping the FPS to 300 stops the CPU from being flooded.
Is this still true with the current public beta? I do not see this behavior on XP.
Another issue is the Gamma setting in the Preferences carries over to the desktop when alt tabbing from Direct3D mode.
This is true for all renderers actually. I've put it on the bug list.
The Classic build seems more reliable.
Because of the 2 things you mentioned above, or are there other issues?
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Melekor wrote:
A lot of games around Myth's time did this, how easy would it actually be to fix?
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

haravikk wrote:
Melekor wrote:
A lot of games around Myth's time did this, how easy would it actually be to fix?
I just committed a fix to svn a few minutes ago :D
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone use the "Windows Classic" build?

Post by Melekor »

Bumped and stickied. I'm still interested in this information.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Another way to poll this without using a poll would be the download counter for the next public build of 1.7 like the final.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Yeah, we are planning to do that too, but the main goal of the OP is to find out exactly what it is about modern that doesn't work on older comps, so it can be fixed.
The Leviathan

Post by The Leviathan »

Howdy, All. Thanks for keeping the community alive and for the righteous v1.7. It absolutely rocks.

I have an Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @2.16 GHz running Windows Vista (yuck!) Home Basic. It ran the modern versions of the 1.7 betas without a hitch, and initially ran the 1.7, but stopped working on the same day that I downloaded the final even after a complete uninstall and reinstallation. When initializing the 1.7 Modern file, the screen would just flicker to black and then drop me to the desktop. the Myth log seemed to indicate no errors and concluded with a "closing Myth II" message, but I'm afraid I didn't save a copy.

Classic works well running at 1280 x 800 resolution (max for my budget laptop) with texture plugins in OpenGL, though it takes a while to load initially as the computer seems to chug through multiple screen resolutions. My OS also downloaded a number of updates on the same day that it stopped working, but selectively uninstalling the updates did not restore my ability to use 1.7 Modern, so I'm still not sure if that contributed to the problem. Since Classic works great, I haven't pursued the issue beyond this point. If it is critical, I can reinstall 1.7 Modern and post a Myth log--just say the word.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

It is a shame to be using the classic build, because modern really is much better, and there shouldn't be any reason why it would not work, especially if it was working before.

I would suggest
1) reinstall the latest video card drivers, because maybe the os updates you mentioned messed them up. (make sure to get them directly, not from microsoft.)
2) restart your computer
3) delete your prefs folder
4) try modern again

In that order.

If it's still not working post the log here. If it really does say "Closing Myth", then that is interesting because there are a very limited number of situations where the "Closing Myth" message is printed in the log, the main one being a normal shutdown by quitting the game (esc,alt-q,alt-f4 on the main menu). We might be able to diagnose it based on the preceding things in the log.
Road

Post by Road »

I had issues with modern last time I got it but that was awhile ago and I just kept getting it. Ill DL modern now and see if there's any issues.

OK, just used Modern and seems to work great! Didn't have a chance to try it multi yet... I believe my issue before had to do with lag. So far so good :D
The Leviathan

Post by The Leviathan »

Melekor wrote: I would suggest
1) reinstall the latest video card drivers, because maybe the os updates you mentioned messed them up. (make sure to get them directly, not from microsoft.)
2) restart your computer
3) delete your prefs folder
4) try modern again
Thanks for the quick feedback, Melekor. I checked my (native) video card drivers; they were already current, so no instillation/update required. Deleted my preference files, and ran the 1.7 installer for the Modern version. Same immediate crash on launch, with the resulting log. Not sure how I missed Myrd's hypothetical resolution switching error before...
  • 2009-06-19 11:08:35
    Myth II Build 329 running under Modern Windows 6.000000 ----------------------------------------------
    Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
    Scanning for software devices...
    Found 1 to use
    Scanning for Direct3D devices...
    Found 1 to use
    Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
    Found 0 to use
    Scanning for OpenGL devices...
    Found 1 to use
    ChangeDisplaySettings() failed! Result code = -1. Details = (mode=640x480, fullscreen=1)
    Error#1337: Myrd's hypothetical resolution switching failure.
I went ahead and re-ran the installer with the Classic build to verify, and the program functions as advertized with the following Myth log:
  • 2009-06-19 11:15:35
    Myth II Classic Build 329 running under Modern Windows 6.000000 ----------------------------------------------
    Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
    Scanning for software devices...
    Found 1 to use
    Scanning for Direct3D devices...
    Found 1 to use
    Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
    Found 0 to use
    Scanning for OpenGL devices...
    Found 1 to use
    Using GDI for Input
    Mouse appears to have 8 buttons and 3 axes.
    Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
    Loading Patch Files...
    Mazz 6 Detail Textures Patch v1
    Patch 1.2
    Patch 1.3
    Patch 1.4
    Patch 1.4 Interface
    Patch 1.5
    Magma - Bungie Map Textures v1
    Loading Patch Files Succeeded
    Closing Myth.
Does this shed any light on things? I too would prefer to use the Modern build as the great Project Magma gurus intended, but scanning the forums elsewhere for solutions to Myrd's Hypothetical Resolution Switching error seems to indicate that the only solution is to run the Classic build.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

OK, so what that error means is for some reason Vista is refusing to set your resolution to 640x480, 16bit. Why this would happen is mysterious, because classic also sets this resolution (albeit indirectly through DirectX, whereas modern uses ChangeDisplaySettings).

btw, what I actually suggested was to reinstall the latest video card driver and restart. What video card do you have anyways? I believe ATI and nvidia cards come with a control panel which will let you change the resolution to any supported mode, including ones that won't show up in the vista display settings panel. If you try manually setting 640x480@16bit through your video card control panel, then if it works you should be able to launch myth and put it into windowed mode. In windowed mode, it will no longer try to switch to that resolution when starting.

If you can't get it to work, I can send you a prefs file that will start myth in windowed mode. Then hopefully we can fix whatever causes this in the first place, for the next version.