Geforce 2 mx w/windows xp (fps lag test) - My fps lag test of the new patch

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Covert

Post by Covert »

Ever since 1.4 i have been getting major fps lag in games where there were multiple units in 1 location (40+++)and when i was over a somewhat large body of watter. I was hoping since your patches created it they would fix. I was somewhat right. I tested the new patch 2day on Caer over the large body of watter in the south west, the spot where i lag the most of any map. I have over 70 units inthat location, that alone b4 would lag me to death but it didint. 1 problem did occur however. When i click once over a body of watter the game runs fine, but if i click multiple times, particularly over deep watter the game gose back to the way it was, A major lag fest. When i stop however it goes back to normal. Basically i should not click multiple times at all, witch would be a handicap, lets say if a mele unit rushes my archer over watter, i instinctevly would double click to stab it but in the proces i would lag myself and the whole game if i was host. Unfortunetly i cant find enough people to help me test the patch the best possible way that i can. The only way i can be sure that all the normal fps lag is gone is to test this on a koth or lmoth ffa game, when everyone is middle at the same time.

If anyone would like to help me test this plz respond to this post. Ty
ELLADARA OMADARA!!!
Covert

Post by Covert »

Ok ive done abit further testing and the fps is still there. I played a 1v1 game with dante on caer again adn we bot went to the sw large body of watter. Combined our units numbers 148. The fps lag was horrible, just as bad as it was b4. It has gotten better for smaller amounts of units but back in 1.3 i never had a problem with any of this.

Can it be a problem with the new patches and its compatability with windows xp, and my gforce 2mx card?
ELLADARA OMADARA!!!
Covert

Post by Covert »

Ok 1.5fc didint fix a thing. My fps lag is still there. Tested it on a koth gimble with nitro and acheron just now. Around 80 units on screen at the same time, game slowed down and got very laggy. This really suckes:(
ELLADARA OMADARA!!!
CIK

Post by CIK »

ok can post the output of dxdiag on here? Also can you confirm if other people are different setups are getting the same problem? If they are at film would really help...that why we don't need to spend the time to reproduce it.

Edited By CIK on 1085433569
Covert

Post by Covert »

I seem to really be the only one with this being a verry big problem. Other peoples fps has dropped significantly aswell yet mine seems to be 10x worse. Btw im not a computer wiz and dont know what dxdiag is... plz explain how i can fine my output ext.
ELLADARA OMADARA!!!
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

More questions Cov ... what resolution are you running under? Is it any better in 800x600 than 1024x768 for instance? And if you watch a film of that big water battle is the lag as bad as it was in-game?
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Covert

Post by Covert »

Im running 1024x768 and i was running 800x600. both equally lagged as much. Also when i watch the film it lags jsut as much. Im gonna start testing the game on softwear to see if its my 3dfx card...
ELLADARA OMADARA!!!
bluntorz

Post by bluntorz »

dxdiag is only for direct x stuff, if your not using the myth software, and u are using your own vid card, does direct x still matter?

Im kinda new to figuring out vid card stuff, so im still learning. I really dont know if direct x is used when your using your own vid card (ex: my nvidia geforce mx420)
Covert

Post by Covert »

Dont know what you guys did but im getting really bad fps lag now...
ELLADARA OMADARA!!!
CIK

Post by CIK »

Yes DirectX is used to renderer the graphics via your Video card unless you use software renderering mode which would give you really bad FPS BTW...make sure you select DirectX and then your video card in the prefs panel.
brokencow

Post by brokencow »

I have a Geforce FX 5400 2.7ghz 512ram pent4 win XP same exact problem as covert, it only really came about from the recent patches as i had none prior.

I think most people with this problem have a Geforce card but thats just me
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Can you confirm that 1.3 actually gives better framerates? Do a test of the exact same situation with both games, and tell us your framerates.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

i get average 275fps with software rendering... same with my video card and it's the radeon 9800 XT 256.
-Ricochet
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Cov, the reason we haven't responded to your lag issue is that we really don't know what's causing it. You see, none of us are Windows programmers and we know very little about Direct3D rendering (the guy who is our Windows expert won't be available to help until August at earliest). Because of this, the D3D code wasn't touched throughout 1.4 and 1.5 development at all.

I believe the D3D rendering could be substantially boosted by a more efficient texture caching system, like the one used for OpenGL. Because its moving, water requires a lot more texture throughput than land does. That aside, there's 2 things I can think of that may cause the lag. One is seeing projectiles and units underwater (hence more textures to display). The other is the Yield CPU to Background Tasks preference - if you have that selected it will eat into your fps, so if you have smooth responsiveness to keystrokes without it then don't turn it on.

We'll check into the underwater visibility issue, as that may be the key. If we made the existing preference turn off all the water visibility as per 1.3 it may help matters.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Actually ... I think we may have a line on this. Bear with us, more news on this lag issue soon.