Artifact questions

Talk about anything here.
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

[color=D7B35B]Is it possible for a unit to only have one artifact and be able to choose the artifact or nothing?

(Both are special attacks)
I need the unit only to be able to pickup one artifact and still be able to use its ammunition but to use the ammunition no artifact can be selected, the unit cant deselect the artifact and still keep the artifact if it can only hold one.[/color]
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

SCORCH wrote:Is it possible for a unit to only have one artifact and be able to choose the artifact or nothing?

(Both are special attacks)
I need the unit only to be able to pickup one artifact and still be able to use its ammunition but to use the ammunition no artifact can be selected, the unit cant deselect the artifact and still keep the artifact if it can only hold one.
Yes, in 1.5 it is possible to have one artifact (or more) and choose to use it - or to not use it - via the new inventory feature. However, for now, you'll need the PC updated version of Fear to create the right settings.

I'm afraid you lost me in the second paragraph though. Try explaining it differently and I'll try to help. The artifact features in 1.5 are extremely powerful and I'm sure they're capable of what you want to do.
Road

Post by Road »

Yes Scorch but any thing that the units picks up can be set to pickup a different projectile for its ammo... but when you switch to another weapon with a different ammo all the ammo counts as one.
Otherwise you can make a unit pick up an artifact and have a totally different unit with different attacks, set it to not holsterd and non dropable mb if you like.
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

[color=D7B35B]Plugin001

Thats something slapped together to show what im talking about. (play willow creek)

The dwarf can pickup the artifact (dwarf head) but cant holster it to use his sats but the archer can because he can hold 2 artifacts. (ignore the warrior)

I want to be able to only hold one and holster it.[/color]
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Scorch, are you on a Mac or PC?
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

[color=D7B35B]PC[/color]
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Okay, good. Next question, do you want this artifact to be usable by all units, or just a specific type?
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

[color=D7B35B]All units.[/color]
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

With all units I'm afraid your options are more limited. I glanced at your tags, but am still not sure what you want to do.

Have an inventory 0: no artifact (uses special attack costing ammo) and inventory 1: carried projectile (uses a different special attack, no ammo required)?
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

[color=D7B35B]Pickup a dwarf head with the dwarf and press i, nothing happens :\

But with the archer when holding a dwarf head pressing i with give you the option of holstering it.
The only difference is that the archer can hold 2 items in his inventory.

With the dwarf I want to holster the artifact to use the dwarfs satchel charges but he cant since he wont holster it unless he is able to hold 2 items.

I want the dwarf only to be able to hold one item in his inventory and the option to holster it.[/color]
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Oh, finally I get it! Sorry. :P

If you don't get the option to select "0: None" when hitting I on a one item unit, then the only work-around I can think of isn't very elegant I'm afraid.

What you can try is giving the dwarf the ability to hold 2 artifacts, and create one that doesn't do anything (same resitances and no overriding attack) and that can't be discarded. At the start of the level, have a simple script grant all the dwarves one of these null artifacts.
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

[color=D7B35B]Ah, good suggestion that will be easy to do thnaks.

It dose do the same for everyone right, not being able to holster it? I wouldnt think it would be just me.[/color]
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

[color=D7B35B]yes indeed a good suggestion...

And it would seem id work...

But :( you can get around the "cant be discarded" by selecting nothing then shift i and select it.
:mad: :(

I hope im wrong in that im doing something incorrectly...
Plugin002 The dwarf arm is the one you "cant" discard.[/color]