1.7 stuff

Talk about anything here.
lank

Post by lank »

Arthim wrote:This is almost definately impossible,
you're not far off. ;)
but what if the direction of the light source on a mesh could change over time. Basically creating a day night cycle. Shadows get longer as time passes and eventually cover the whole mesh simulating night, then eventually light reappeares on the opposite side of the mesh.
this is something i think most people have thought would be an awesome idea since the beginning of myth. however, myth was made in the days before computers could do nice shadowing in real time, so the shadows are "baked" on and included in the same collection file as the colour map. similarly, unit shadows are baked into their own collections and so couldn't respond properly to a changing global light source. it's a nice dream, but in this case i think that's all it can be...

[plug]on the other hand, if you want interesting shadows in any level you make, check out my shadow mapping tutorial in the mapmaking section! ;) [/plug]
*toot*
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Arthim wrote:This is almost definately impossible, but what if the direction of the light source on a mesh could change over time. Basically creating a day night cycle. Shadows get longer as time passes and eventually cover the whole mesh simulating night, then eventually light reappeares on the opposite side of the mesh.
I agree with Lank: awesome idea, nigh impossible in Myth's current form. Dynamic shadows would require a full 3D engine (not just mesh, but all units as well). Something like this might be possible in Myth 3, but who wants to play Myth 3? ;) I know in M3 explosions cause dynamic lights (units cast shadows, etc) but I don't know if you could have global light changes.

Semi-related: Has anyone played Age of Mythology? It's been a while for me, but I seem to recall certain times where the "sun" would set and the lighting would get darker/get more red and shadows would get longer. Does anyone remember?
killerking

Post by killerking »

When will 1.7 be downloadable? (as beta or finished).

Killerking
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

We were told it'd be done for MWC09 (if we have MWC09). So that'd mean May as a final.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

so the key is for someone to host an MWC09 tournament next week.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Myrd would probably claim his religion has its own special MWC09