The upcoming zombie apocolypse

Talk about anything here.
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

yes true but mosquitoes can slow them down. also some flesh eating animal...the mummy anyone those scarab beatles could kill you in a matter of seconds jsut fill a moat with some of those and the zombies will then have to get past the lasers the sharks/baccacudas and then the spiders and the evil scarb beatles. if all else fails i have my last resort. a belt fed ultralight automatic shotgun. Filled with white phosferus pellets OH MAN those zombies are gonan have a hard time getting to me :)

-Sonixboom
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

you forgot sharks with frickin laser beams on their head for your moat.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Deqlyn wrote:you forgot sharks with frickin laser beams on their head for your moat.
lol! :D

Yeah, I didn't think zombies had blood either -- pretty sure they're blood-less.

Blimp/balloon is a great idea.

What about having a house up on stilts? Could they make it inside?

Or, similar to the idea of ice, what about a house surrounded by sand? Or simpler: a moat/pit of some kind which barriers they cannot overcome -- like long spears pointing their way, etc.?
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

lava kills EVERYTHING even zombies i need a moat of lava after hte moat of sharks and stuff...i might need to draw a pickture :)

-Sonixboom
pompey

Post by pompey »

In a real, epic zombie outbreak you need longitudinal planning. Remember, the goal #1 is not to kill zombies, it's to avoid dying (or undying, perhaps). If you have a house on stilts or a cabin on a mountain or whatever, you're going to have to make decisions about how to deal with a few important situations.

- What plans have you made to fend off zombies? (much discussed)

- What plans have you made to discourage ferals (humans turned against humans due to greed, insanity, anarchy, all of above, etc.)? Only having traps to prevent zombies from getting to you isn't enough in the short run. Think: biker gang from the original Dawn of the Dead.

- What will you do if there are friendlies who need some place to stay? (e.g. a small family, lost child, etc.)

- How do you plan to sustain your basic needs on a long-term basis? Food, water, shelter are easy things to forget, but you need them more than you need guns, moats, sharks with frickin lasers attached to their heads because of goal #1. MREs and canned food will only last so long, so if this is a truly world-changing crisis, you best be a farmer :)

As someone with fewer survival skills than I would like to have, I know that I'm not as useful as someone with military experience, a professional carpenter, a poet laureate (okay, maybe more useful than that last one). That means I try to get those helpful skills, but I can also be worthwhile by planning realistically ahead of time and providing decisions that were thought out in advance and are less risky than panicked decisions.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

I suggest taking a baloon to the alps. It sources the rivers so you know it one be contaminated via its the source! You can live off the land up there. I do possess some survival skills unlike Pompey, and that other Mike dude. You can baloon from mountain to mountain sort of. You could always tap the rockies and live off beer.

You cannot control or wield lava. Spiked walls wont work cause the dead would pile up and just climb on top of the bodies. A house on stilts will just be pushed over by undead or you're basically trapping yourself in a tree so it better be making cocunuts.

Baloon to the uninhabitated santuaries of New Zealand. No people No zombies.
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

hm...ok we have discussed the growing of food :) and the house on stilts

-Sonixboom
pompey

Post by pompey »

Deqlyn wrote:Baloon to the uninhabitated santuaries of New Zealand. No people No zombies.
Two words: Black Sheep
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

If the zombie contagion spreads to animals then we are all pretty much SOL. Although I still say an island large enough to have fresh water and room enough to grow trees and food crops with no recent human habitation is the best for long term survival as it answers all of the longitudinal questions raised recently.

Most importantly, an island at least a few miles off a major coast is the only solution that allows you freedom to not have to constantly worry about your defensive perimeter, as the ocean is your moat. At least until the next ice age you are secure. Unless of course zombies start roaming around underwater and somehow find your island, but I am reasonably sure from the canon of Zombie films that that's not a very likely possibility (I can think of only one exception to the 'zombies don't do water' rule) unless you do something silly like settle on an island where you would be visible from a once-populated mainland. ex. Alcatraz island, home of the infamous prison would be a great place to defend, but I think if you are that close to the mainland a zombie is going to see you and eventually one will make it to the island and once makes it it's only a matter of time until more do.

sidenote: RE: Mosquitos. If a creature doesn't have blood a mosquito isn't going to slow it down. Even if a creature DID have blood, do you have any idea how many mosquitos would need to bite a human sized creature before blood loss would slow down it's motor functions? 37,142. Seriously, look it up. Where are you going to find that kind of mosquito population, and even worse - IF zombies DO have blood which can be sucked out by mosquitos, couldn't they then spread the zombie contagion to YOU by biting you?
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

Relating to the hiding on an island idea all zombie movies games etc agree on two things

One: the plague can only be spread by people being bitten by zombies

Two: zombies don't use tecnoligy

Based on these two things, you could go to a place where nothing can get to you without tecnoligy and no zombies would ever find you.
for an mmo, click this link:
Baak

Post by Baak »

Arthim wrote:Relating to the hiding on an island idea all zombie movies games etc agree on two things

One: the plague can only be spread by people being bitten by zombies

Two: zombies don't use tecnoligy

Based on these two things, you could go to a place where nothing can get to you without tecnoligy and no zombies would ever find you.
I say the Moon or Mars, or better yet another solar system entirely with several Earth-like planets only populated with really nice stuff.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Alcatrez is uninhabitable as there is no food and especially water. It was too expensive to run water there thats why they shut it down.

To reiterate Vinyls stance. New Zealand's animal santuary island. Only teams of scientists are allowed to step foot on it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Deqlyn wrote:Alcatrez is uninhabitable as there is no food and especially water. It was too expensive to run water there thats why they shut it down.
Not arguing FOR Alcatraz, but if there were only a handful of people I imagine that given the normal weather in the area you could collect rainwater in barrels or other containers for use on non-rainy days, and augment it with some large water collectors (aka solar stills) if need be to get enough drinkable water. There are gardens so there must be decent growing soil, and the island is home to lots of birds (KFS anyone?), so the island would be liveable I think - though not ideal. If I have to live in a post zombie-apocalyptic world with no modern technology, I really don't want to be living some place I have to see the zombies every day. That kind of thing just isn't good for one's stress level.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

LOL so true vinyl about seeing zombies.

Here is avg annual rainfall. Not sure how long you could live off that. Maybe a desalting plany on there would work.

In inches from an unverified site.

January 4.06
February 2.95
March 3.07
April 1.29
May 0.25
June 0.15
July 0.04
August 0.07
September 0.26
October 1.26
November 3.21
December 3.10
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

the thing about collecting rainwater though is that even if there's only an inch of rainfall a month you are only limited in the amount of water you can collect by how much surface area you have in your collection containers. e.g. If you have one 12" bucket and it rains 4" a month you can collect @452 square inches of water. Add another bucket and you have @904, 2 more and you've got 1800, etc, etc. Sure you lose some water day to day due to evaporation (best in warm/dry weather to cover containers between rains with a solar-still style cover to recycle the evaporated water right back into the container), or better yet store the water somewhere cool out of the sun, but as long as you have enough containers you can collect unlimited amounts of rainwater.