Attacks appearing on the attacker

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Attacks appearing on the attacker

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

So I've got this unit that is attacking groups of troops from a distance. The attack makes quite a big local projectile group for the effect I want, and it uses a really low recovery/high repetition rate like the mahir melee attack.

Just about every time the enemy units die, this attacker's attack appears on himself, even though he's standing well away from the attack-ees. It's like a dwarf that throws really fast and suddenly throws a bomb down at his own feet for shits and giggles.

I've made it so that the attack doesn't hurt the attacker, but it's still annoying. Is there anyway of fixing this?
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Is this one of those Centered on Target type of attack? The only way to do it is to redesign or modify the attack. I've had similar issues in the past. Depending on what the desired effect is, there are different ways to go about this.

You can make it so the attacks throws a projectile (visible or not) from the unit first. The projectile would then promote to that attack when it hits the target. This way when the target dies and your unit is still attacking, it wouldn't have that right in front of it. The downside to this attack is that it can hit something along the way unless you use lightning type of projectiles. You don't need to use a lightning collection for it. So you can make it look like the "54 wall explosion scenery" on the cracked walls of Venice. It is a small scenery that has a sequence of nothingness.

Another way is to make it so it isn't a area of effect type of attack. Look at the Deceiver's primary attack. You wouldn't notice it if he did that attack in front of himself after the target dies. His attack's projectile has the "Melee Attack" projectile flag on. Which can be useful for "Centerted on Target" type of attacks.
William Wallet

Re: Attacks appearing on the attacker

Post by William Wallet »

:) Da Cid (: McCl wrote:So I've got this unit that is attacking groups of troops from a distance. The attack makes quite a big local projectile group for the effect I want, and it uses a really low recovery/high repetition rate like the mahir melee attack.

Just about every time the enemy units die, this attacker's attack appears on himself, even though he's standing well away from the attack-ees. It's like a dwarf that throws really fast and suddenly throws a bomb down at his own feet for shits and giggles.

I've made it so that the attack doesn't hurt the attacker, but it's still annoying. Is there anyway of fixing this?
You could try and sign a peace treaty with the enemy.

.... just sayin'.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
lank

Re: Attacks appearing on the attacker

Post by lank »

:) Da Cid (: McCl wrote:So I've got this unit that is attacking groups of troops from a distance. The attack makes quite a big local projectile group for the effect I want, and it uses a really low recovery/high repetition rate like the mahir melee attack.

is it a melee attack?

there are some peculiarities i've encountered with that sort of behaviour, though i'm afraid i don't remember the details of what caused it or how i fixed it. you should hopefully be able to fix this by playing around with the "centred on target" and similar settings. pyro's probably on the money for this.

good luck.
*toot*
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Centred on target is already on.

Well I've thought of a way to get around it. Nevermind!
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™