Whats up with all the new patches? - What was the need for them?

Talk about anything here.
bluntorz

Post by bluntorz »

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything here.. It just seems that myth was much more enjoyable to play back on 1.3.

Its a pain in the butt to keep dl'ing them (ppl hate it..), its also annoying to find out that the old patches worked better than the new ones (why fix what isnt broke), and than its even more annoying to learn that even IF you do go back to the old v's, everyone else is using the new ones..

Im just kinda curious to why we keep having new versions. The FPS lag Does get worse with every version, i dont understand this.. Sure, mb some little minor things get fixed and/or added (the consistant ready might be convienent, but it takes away from the game some. No more check races, and also ppl can go afk while the game starts a lot easier now..) but the new Versions are creating bigger problems than the ones they solve it seems.

Like i said, im not starting a flame war, im just looking for some explanation to why we keep getting new versions of myth. The old ones were fine!
bluntorz

Post by bluntorz »

What was wrong w/the 1.3 v's? I seriously dont know what was wrong with them, i just want some feed back :angry:
Nae'blis
Site Admin

Post by Nae'blis »

Bluntorz, I don't think everyone has had the same experience as you. Personally, I thought 1.3 sucked so bad (compared to TFL) that I refused to even play it, whereas 1.5 is like a whole new world to me.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

If you want the comprehensive list, check out the readme files that come with the patches. As for just a few improvements Magma has made to Myth 2 since 1.3:

Fixed the flickering cursor in Windows XP.
Provided Mac OS X support.
Provided OpenGL for Mac OS X.
Fixed input lag for many players.
Fixed the Archer Walk bug.
Fixed Plugin lag, allowing for a great many plugins to be loaded at once.
TFL emulation in Myth 2.
Slews of map making enhancements.
Many interface improvements such as the transparent F6 bar, chat carry-over, higher resolutions and wide-screen monitor support.
And lots more really.

As for poor FPS, that's something that isn't just fixed once - it has to be fixed for dozens of different computer set-ups. Some times what creates an improvement on one person's computer, slows down someone else's. As of last night, I believe what should be a universal FPS fix was found that should be in 1.5 final. You'll have to ask Iron about that though.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I remember the good old days of 1.3. When you had to wait 10 minutes for myth to start up, loading all the plugins at the beginning. No offense, but have you actually tried playing 1.3 recenly? The old days always _seem_ better, when in reality, they're not (at least with myth).
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

"The old days always _seem_ better, when in reality, they're not (at least with myth). "

Ummm....I disagree....I remember when marius net first started there were people 14/7 on TFL. How is 6 people or day better? :)
Acheron

Post by Acheron »

Nae'blis wrote:Bluntorz, I don't think everyone has had the same experience as you. Personally, I thought 1.3 sucked so bad (compared to TFL) that I refused to even play it, whereas 1.5 is like a whole new world to me.
so you would like if magma made myth2 more like TFL?

Another question: does 1.5 reminds you more of tfl then 1.3 if yes in what aspects of the game?
Acheron LoA&BME
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

yes ... with TFL Gameplay switched on :)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Nae'blis
Site Admin

Post by Nae'blis »

Acheron wrote:so you would like if magma made myth2 more like TFL?

Another question: does 1.5 reminds you more of tfl then 1.3 if yes in what aspects of the game?

Acheron, a lot of what I'm referring to is performance. Myth II prior to 1.4 always felt extremely sluggish to me.

Other than that, I guess a big part of what draws me in is vTFL. I could live with the clumping and height-based missile range in M2, but the way units turn in place is practically unbearable to me.

Although, what I'd really like is a mode with the physics and unit behavior of TFL but with the smoother animation of Myth2. Oh well I'll just dream.

But the main point is that Myth2 1.0 - 1.3 was far too slow for me. Not in FPS, but in chat mode, interface, that sort of thing. I can't stand a program that doesn't respond promptly to commands.
bluntorz

Post by bluntorz »

I forgot about a few of those things. Like the loading of all the maps and the flickering mouse.

Its just annoying b/c i have noticed that each patch has lowered and lowered my fps :( Now its finally gotten to the point to where i cant play on parts of maps..

::shrug:: I just hope they find an FPS fix soon. Im not the only one gettin it, there's a whole slew of ppl.

p.s. i think that whole starting up myth w/the loading of maps thing was the best fix w/the new versions.
CIK

Post by CIK »

How much RAM do you have bluntorz? Because I've seen no FPS declines for the most part, but I know the RAM requirements have krept up over time and on a limited RAM machine I could see some serious performance loss.

Though I'm going to guess you suffer from something else though, I wish we could just put our finger on it before we ship this thing.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Alternatively, are you using a geforce card by any chance blunt?
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Spond!Max

Post by Spond!Max »

Nae'blis wrote:Bluntorz, I don't think everyone has had the same experience as you. Personally, I thought 1.3 sucked so bad (compared to TFL) that I refused to even play it, whereas 1.5 is like a whole new world to me.
Please, Magma ... stop trying to make MII into TFL.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

We're not, we've just stuck it in as an extra :P
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
bluntorz

Post by bluntorz »

I have more than enough RAM to run this game, 512 ddr RAM.

I found out (thanks mike from duelists) that if u turn off the opaque water it helps boost ur FPS. I took me from 6-8 in swamps on ww2 recon to 10-14.. That still sucks, but its improvement none the less..

I guess i'll just patiently await a new version.