Teleportation script trouble

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
hmp

Teleportation script trouble

Post by hmp »

I have a multiplayer map that uses 3 world knots to teleport units around the map. It seems to work fine about 90% of the time, but sometimes units teleport away and dont reappear. I have seen it happen to some or all of the units teleporting.

The script is basically like this:
•GEOM (tests for taunting units)
CTRL (removes control of units)
GENE (stops units)
CTRL (makes invisible)
MOMA (moves)
CTRL (makes visible)
CTRL (restores control)

each action activates the next in the list

I haven't been able to really see any pattern in when it messes up.

Not sure if this really means anything, but I played a film of this happening on a local folder of the plugin with nothing changed but a debug flag added to the script and it went oos, but the unit did reappear.

The map is here: http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... %20b12.zip
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Ah yes, I've had a similar issue, but I was able to fix it. I can't remember how right now, but I will check out my script and see what I can come up with. For me the units would not reappear if the units disappearing were moving or even got hit. From the top of my head one thing you could try is giving the script a little more time disappearing before activating the moving of units. Or else it messes up when it tries to move a unit that isn't quite invisible yet.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

I think I should mention that the purple blobs circulating over the worldknots look out of place.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

In my "Imprisoned" plugin, I used teleportation a lot. And from time to time, it was just screwing up (one unit wasn't reappearing). Then I noticed, that it always works fine, when you don't use any visibility effect (I suppose that you're using World Knot Visibility flag now). So I made some sequence of map actions which were checking the number of units before and after teleportation and if it was wrong, they were making units reappear again, but without visibility effect, so every of them could appear :wink: Or you can always get rid of this effect at all and there shouldn't be any problem. Or... you've screwed something up with your script.
hmp

Post by hmp »

Ah thanks I'll see if that works.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

HMP, you can use this URL to link to your uploads folder
http://tinyurl.com/6524c3
eg put it in the plugin URL field in Fear.

* there's a spot to the top right edge of the map where the edge of the mesh can be seen.
* the archers should be without flame arrows on the two frozen maps
* having a flock of hawks amidst a snowstorm on the frozen maps doesn't look right, maybe one or two would be better?
* about the fisherman - it's possible to make him go "ow" when hit. You can see how I've done it in my plugin in my uploads folder.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

You need a delay after making the units invisible, and before making them visible again. If you're using any entrance/exit then it takes a short time to complete, and especially with world-knot visibility the units don't all disappear at precisely the same time.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these: