Bungie split?

Talk about anything here.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

iron wrote:um, [Marathon was ] about 10 years old I think, give or take [when it was released as freeware]. As there's 3 games its not a clear cut answer ;) But Myth's certainly in the same age range now.
(I added the parts in [ ] to put the quote in context)

Myth held its age better, I'd say. I did all three Marathons as they were released. Before them I played Pathways into Darkness, too -- my first FPS. It was scary!

Heh, back on my 60 Mhz 6100/60 PowerMac it was Pathways, Marathon, then Myth TFL before I got a newer computer.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

iron wrote:I'd settle for them buying the rights to the Myth series, then releasing TFL & M2 as freeware as they did with Marathon.
I would rather like to see Myth IV but releasing Myth as freeware would be also great.

Some1 should write a wise petition : )
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I really have a hard time seeing them spend the money to buy back Myth just to release it as freeware.
The cake is a lie.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Them buying it back just to release as freeware is rather pointless, I agree. But them resecuring their own intellectual properties and history......and then happening to release the source code......
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

As much as I love the myth storyline. I think I'd be just about as happy to see them release a modern myth clone as release a myth IV. Give everything a different name, but give me the same gameplay with awesome graphics.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

TarousZars wrote:As much as I love the myth storyline. I think I'd be just about as happy to see them release a modern myth clone as release a myth IV. Give everything a different name, but give me the same gameplay with awesome graphics.
That is what halo was originally going to be.. before they realised it'd be more awesome as a 3rd person shooter. Obviously it changed a lot more before it reached us, but thats how halo started out.
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Dio

Post by Dio »

Why does Bungie have to buy it back to release it as freeware? Can't Take2 just release it as freeware?
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress".
- Joseph Joubert
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

If it doesn't make Take2 money, they won't bother.

Thats my general view on them.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Yeah, they will never ever let it go... why? ... becouse :/

Best option now would be some1 ( maybe from Magma - *looks @ Doobs!*) writing a nice&wise petition "Bungie plz rebuy Myth - we still love it".
We will all sign it, wait and see if anything will happen. We cant loose anything so its worth a try for sure. C'mon.

Post number: 3 2 1 ( take off ? )
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Perenold

Post by Perenold »

Yeah I'm sure Take2 is thinking something like "Well if they want it than it must be profitable, we better hold on to it"
Archer

Post by Archer »

The basic idea, I believe, goes like this:

If we hang onto it and do nothing, it doesn't cost us anything we haven't already paid.

If we hang onto it and do something with it, it might lose us a lot of money.

If we sell it off and it goes nowhere, we get a piddly little amount of money, maybe just enough to pay the bookkeepers involved in the sale.

If we sell it off and something fantastic happens with it, there will be a great number of angry shareholders wondering why it wasn't us doing that something fantastic and making lots of money, or in lieu of that, why we didn't just get more money for it in the sale.

Sitting on the property is the least risky path.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

well said archer.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

I really don't think its a matter of risk from their point of view, they just don't care.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Perenold

Post by Perenold »

Take2 has top men working on it. Who? Top. Men... In other words it will collect dust until the end of time.
Industry

Post by Industry »

I think the best shot you'll ever get to the Myth Source Code and IP is to wait until Take2 enters bankruptcy and then petition the judge to buy it. An auditor will be required to make realistic and market valuation of their assets versus their liabilities and then you contact the Bankruptcy Court directly and offer them $2000 for the assets which will probably be 4 times what the court will value it at, and the judge will force them to sell it to meet their liabilities.