Pirated copy of xp - Win98se fails to support beta1.5

Talk about anything here.
URzooked

Post by URzooked »

:roll: I know the beta 1.5 works with Win XP, but I can't get it to work with Win98second edition(se). I started to look for a pirated copy of XP with search engines and have found many articles/forums that discuss the plentifull existance of it. I now know how to crack the key so you can use and update a pirated copy of WinXP, but have not found a download. (has anyone got MythII multiplayer to work with Win98se ?) I have a burnt copy of Win98se I got from a shop from my product of authenticity code. I may ask a friend for his XP PoA code and get it burnt, and crack it with the info I found, but will search more online for a copy... :roll:
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Myth II 1.5 (and any version of myth II or TFL) should be MUCH more likely to work without complications on windows 98[se] than on windows XP, because 98 is the operating system the game was made for.

I understand you're having some connection problems, but I think you'd have an easier time resolving your problem on windows 98 than you would by migrating to XP (not that I wouldn't recommend the upgrade).

As suggested by Iron, it really sounds like you have some kind of firewall blocking outgoing traffic from your computer. Are you SURE you don't have any hardware OR software firewall in place? For example, your internet connection, comes from the modem, and then what? goes straight into your computer? If that's the case there shouldn't be a hardware firewall unless it's being implemented by your ISP. as for software firewalls, you're sure you don't have norton internet security installed? or sygate personal firewall or zonelab zonealarm or anything else like that?

Sorry to keep asking you the same question, but it really seems like the most logical solution.

If you're 100% certain there is no hardware or software firewall blocking outgoing traffic, i'd confirm that you can connect with 1.3 and 1.4, cause it sounds very strange.

if you can no longer connect using 1.3 and 1.4, maybe try phoning your ISP and ask them about it.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
CIK

Post by CIK »

Actually these day's Myth II is more made for XP then 98, it should run under 98 and people are running it under 98 to my knowledge.

I would suggest seeing if there are any patchs for networking stuff that you havn't installed. Though 98SE should be a pretty good base for things, we haven't gotten too progressive around here.
URzooked

Post by URzooked »

I use a 6 foot phone cord from my modem to the phone connection on the wall, with no software firewall. I usually kill all apps., programs and processes not vital to playing MythII online. I have two computers, both installed with the burnt copy of Win98se. Both with newly partitioned hard drives. One, I installed every option under communications, so I know a network software option certainly is NOT missing. The other has all critical updates from Microsoft.com and some other updates. I can connect for multiplayer using 1.4.4 but cannot using 1.5beta#1 or beta#2. I dont think the servers accept 1.3 anymore. I visited my brother 600 miles away and installed MythII and the beta on his Win XP computer and it connected for multiplayer right away. Sure Myth was made for Win98 in the beginnging, but now I am guessing it is made to optimize on XP. I never had a problem until the beta patches came out....................................... Does anyone know a sight that lets ppl download WinXP for free? :nocomment:
CIK

Post by CIK »

I'll look into building up something for you to test out. I think I did ask before, but you are certain the OpenPlay modules folder does exist and has the TCP/IP module in it? Just want to double check before I spend a few hours making up a 2nd TCP/IP module.
lank

Post by lank »

cik, in the tech help forum urzooked said his openplay modules folder is empty.
*toot*
qwerty3

Post by qwerty3 »

just for the record urzookeds connection and host is awful.

Don't ever let StoneCold set your forums up :(
URzooked

Post by URzooked »

Lets keep the problem solutions posts, in my other post, under the title Technical Support Forum. My original post here, under General Forum, was based on finding a pirated copy of Win Xp. If I happen to find a sight that lets ppl download a copy for free, I will post it here. :roll:
StoneCold
Site Admin

Post by StoneCold »

Please DO NOT talk about software piracy here. We do not condone the methods of stealing software from companies. This is not a place to communicate about exchanging stolen software.

Thank You.