Opengl drivers for all - Apple does not support some g3 systems

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Fil

Post by Fil »

Apple / Mac OS X do not support OpenGL on older G3 systems such as iMac A, which had a very limited ATI Rage IIc video card. Some of us have upgraded their system e.g. with a GameWizard Voodoo2, and/or G3 processor upgrade. With the upgrades, Myth was playing in all its glory under Mac OS 8/9 thanks to third party / unofficial 3dFX drivers. These drivers included an OpenGL component / library, which enabled OpenGL games (e.g. Oni) to run with the 3dFX card. Hence, I believe it is technically feasible to write OpenGL drivers for now-defunct 3dFX cards under OS X. I know the subject sounds jurassic, yet I think it is relevant in the context of an old game like Myth, which is being twicked and tuned up to modern technology. Anyone out there wishing to tell how easy or challenging this project would be? Thanks in advance.
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

i think it might also help if you have those unofficial drivers you mention...

ah well, i'm not a programmer so i can be wrong too
CIK

Post by CIK »

3dfx cards and OS X are probably never going to mixing. The low level graphics hardware level is closed and Apple won't give you the info without an arm and a leg. Next you would need to spend some very serious effort to write a kext for the 3dfx cards, which at this point in history I doubt anyone is that crazy....now wait there's crazy people updating a 5 yearold game though...
Fil

Post by Fil »

Yes, Brainbug, I've got the drivers but they are MacOS 8/9 only :(

I was indeed suspecting that Apple would not be completely helpful on this subject, many thanks CIK for your tech input. All the best, you guys at Project Magma + Testers are doing a wonderfull job in all respects.