Myth II in linux with or without wine

Talk about anything here.
mijutu

Myth II in linux with or without wine

Post by mijutu »

I just tried the Myth II 1.5.1 with wine. It works after changing abosolute=1 in the code as http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bu ... 27503.html suggests.

I only have the original linux-version of Myth II. I got the data files to work with 1.5.1 by removing empty directories from the 1.5.1-install and symlinking all files and directories from the linux-version:

cd ~/".wine/drive_c/Program Files/Myth II"
ln -s /path/to/linux/version/myth2/* .

Would it be too difficult to compile a native linux-version of the new Myth II? At least you should have all the source code from Loki. (See http://www.lokigames.com front page)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

The loki source code has been lost. We don't have it.
mijutu

Post by mijutu »

Hello again.

I tried the 1.6 build 286 with wine-0.9.29.
I didn't play it yet, just tried that I can start the campaign and the tutorial. Since my last post the mouse behaviour in wine has been fixed and playing Myth doesn't require changing wine source any more.

A few notices:
-1.6 needs SMACKW32.DLL which can be downloaded from dll-files.com
-unlike 1.5, 1.6 needs the Graphics->Emulate a virtual desktop turned off in winecfg
-1.6 won't start in with wine in the windowed mode. Removing preferences/screen preferences file will get it started again.
-1.5 gives me a good amount of resolutios in the range of 640x480 to 1600x1200, but 1.6 gives only 1440x900

Are there some differences in how 1.5 and 1.6 detect the available resolutions?

The only hint I get from the error messages is that with
1.6 it says:

fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_CreateSurface Wanted to get surface dimensions from window 0x10024, but it has only a size of 0x0. Using full screen dimensions

And with 1.5 it doesn't. See line 2262 of http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/ddraw/ddraw.c
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

There's two versions of 1.6 for Windows. The "1.6 Modern/Windowed" is the default in the installer (when running WinXP/2k), and does change significantly how Myth II interacts with the OS. But, there's also "1.6 Classic", and this interacts in the same way as 1.5.1 did.

Even on Windows, different people having different luck with either of these two versions.

You can try the other one (Classic) to see if you can get better results with it. Good luck.
mijutu

Post by mijutu »

I tried the classic version and everything works as expected.
Even the (wine-)bug where returning to main menu causes
X-server to eat 400 megabytes of memory for a while. (That doesn't happen in the modern 1.6)

I guess the 1440x900 was chosen as only resolution because it was the only 60Hz resolution in the mode list provided by xrandr.

When I looked into it, I found out that the xrandr information was bogus. It was caused by the DynamicTwinView setting of the nvidia driver. I turned that off and the modern 1.6 started to work with other resolutions too. It still doesn't start in windowed mode, but that doesn't bother me much.

Anyway, thanks for the upgrade. I hope somebody will some day have the time to fix the few remaining wine bugs and fixmes that affect myth II. Then you would be able to easily compile a linux-version using winelib.
mijutu

More hints regarding Myth II in linux+wine

Post by mijutu »

With the latest wine 0.9.33, Myth II (1.6 modern) seems to work a bit better than one or two wine versions ago. Now I'm able to use all the screen settings without crashing. (except direct3d of course)

Some notes:

If there is fast blinking black and white garbage on the game, but it runs and works fine otherwise, nvidia users should try to disable the "Allow Flipping" in nvidia-settings. Moving the game window or not playing in fullscreen might help too.

Myth II will also work on an x86_64 linux system. To compile wine, install 32bit libraries and development files (no 32bit chroot required!) and ./configure, etc. should work just the same way as in the 32 bit world.
CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION must be enabled in kernel config.

If Myth II stops to work after upgrading wine or anything else, try deleting "preferences/screen preferences".
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Suggestions: This thread be stickied, or a new sticky thread created summarising the info here. In other words it'd be good to have something permanently visible & easy to find that demonstrates how to get it running with Wine under linux.

Also, a similar thread should be posted to the comments section for Myth II on happypenguin.org and other similar sites.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

If it can be run on Wine, there is a good chance it runs on http://www.reactos.org too.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

I'll sticky this thread until someone more familiar with the topic than I creates a summary.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
mijutu

Myth TFL

Post by mijutu »

Myth TFL demo upgraded with MythTFL_15_Update will also work in wine.
To run it in wine 0.9.35, I have to remove the file
tags/Local/PREF/GAME
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

As far as I know TFL has always worked in Wine. Bungie's API usage was probably very conservative as they were a Mac house.
GameJunkieJim

Post by GameJunkieJim »

This sucks, I just ordered the Linux version this morning. I should have checked for a patch first. Oh well, I can still play SP and SP plugins.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Apart from paying extra to buy the linux version, it doesn't really suck that much. You can still run the Windows 1.6 updater & play the game using Wine...
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
GameJunkieJim

Post by GameJunkieJim »

Well I have one Windows Machine with 1.6 on it, and I can play on Mariusnet with that one. I was just going to try to get the rest running Myth II native. I'll go the Wine route if I have to though, kinda makes me feel silly though.

Oh well, at least I'll have a new manual and box to look at instead of an old scratched up disc.
GameJunkieJim

Post by GameJunkieJim »

Issue with running it in wine:

The good news is that it loads the menus fine, connects to Marius net, all that good jazz, but if I try to start it with, it fails with a capital F. No load bar, just a black screen. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, my Windows machine can't host, and I have everything wide open on it. I'll search elsewhere for ideas to fix that, but if there's a one line answer, help would be <3'd.