Balor's Armor

Talk about anything here.
Floyd

Balor's Armor

Post by Floyd »

I think it was in the five champions' pregame or the out of the barrier in TFL, it talks about an armor, that if you wear it you are tireless in battle.

is this the armor Balor wears? Do we know who made it and if so, when it was made?

(trying to gather info for my project)

and how about the Balmung?
Muhammad is the most common given name in the world. Chang is the most common family name. There are, however, very few people named 'Muhammad Chang.'
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Alric was out looking for armour, then when captured Balor him Balor seemed to get lovely armour for himself. There's some debate over why the head sent Alric looking - check Myth.Bungie.org. Goes on for ages.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

There's no reason to assume that Balor is wearing that particular suit of armor, or that it exists at all. The Head was treacherous. The one journal entry that mentions the armor already starts to give hints that The Head was a lying bastard.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

A-Red wrote:There's no reason to assume that Balor is wearing that particular suit of armor, or that it exists at all. The Head was treacherous. The one journal entry that mentions the armor already starts to give hints that The Head was a lying bastard.
I think Balor did find the armor, but it's mostly circumstantial.

Did the berserks who lopped off Balor's head attack his neck soley because it was the one gap in the armor that they could get to, or because it was part of Alric's plan, or both?
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Woulda been hard to throw the whole thing in the Devoid. Especially since apparently only Dwarves can carry Balor-bits.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

haha only dwarves can carry balor bits.

hmm but that kinda sucks. its more than likely that balor's armor isnt the one the head sent alric to look for, and that the armor might not have existed in the first place
Muhammad is the most common given name in the world. Chang is the most common family name. There are, however, very few people named 'Muhammad Chang.'
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

It does say that Alric was told the armor would make its wearer 'invulnerable to attack,' which Balor obviously wasn't - unless of course the Eblis Stone counteracted the armor's power.
The cake is a lie.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

The Heads dishonesty notwithstanding, it's totally possible Balor had 'that' suit of armour. It's really a non-issue - one can either dismiss the entire thing as a ploy to fool Alric into a trap, or one can use it as a basis for a map (like, ya know.... race Balor to the suit or something.... I dunno!).
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Nice armor that's not resistant vs berserk swords. ^^
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Not resistant?

Why does it take them 45 secs of non-stop hacking to kill him then?
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

cuz zerk blades are dull as falk!
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

My guess is the Eblis Stone immobilized him, and counteracted the magics at work protecting Balor, and the Armor.
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Cobalt 7 wrote:My guess is the Eblis Stone immobilized him, and counteracted the magics at work protecting Balor, and the Armor.
But then, how are you able to damage him alot just before (or after) he destroys the Standard in The Last Battle? If it wasn't for his powerful lightning attacks he could be killed before the final confrontation.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Perhaps.

But if you also recall, in Beta, Myth:TFL, even on Timid, was significantly harder than it's present incarnation. I doubt Bungie expected Players to cause any significant damage to Balor on any difficulty. Players were expected to sit down, and shut up while Alric and Balor talked. That would then make the impact of the Eblis stone all the greater.

But then they nerfed it a wee bit. So players who planned ahead, and knew the unit locations, etc, could Ambush Balor.

But you know as well as I do that doing so crashes the level, so to speak, as it breaks almost all of the scripting, and there's no way to end the level.
geyser

Post by geyser »

Cobalt, I've always wondered about the origin of "Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore." (your sig).
Oni's Comguys (also voiced by Doug "Voice of BoB" Zartman) happen to say that exact phrase sometimes.
I assumed that Easter egg was referring either (indirectly) to Marathon or (directly) to some other Bungie stuff.
If it indeed occurred elsewhere, could I have more info on the references please? It's for our Oni Galore wiki :)

Interestingly, Balor also makes a cameo appearance in Oni ;)
And there's some ambient music from TFL and SB, too.