A Myth Wiki - helpers needed

Talk about anything here.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Well, what VR and I talked about was a mixture of both. You start with a list, then when something gets rather long you give it its own page. We're giving a list of KEY map-makers, that's important people. Anything minor I imagine someone could add as long as VR had space (I have no idea how much bandwidth we have) but his point is really "get the important stuff done". Embeleshment = later.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Wait...So is this really a wiki or just a myth information place? Because wiki suggests that users will be able to submit content...

I guess I don't quite understand the format...what good is just a list of prominent map makers? Cause I think vinyl just proved we already had one. Perhaps an article on the amazing amounts of user-created maps/plugs, and then list specific groups, with each name linking to an article on the particular group. Just some thoughts....

-DA
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Death's Avatar wrote:Wait...So is this really a wiki or just a myth information place? Because wiki suggests that users will be able to submit content...

I guess I don't quite understand the format...what good is just a list of prominent map makers? Cause I think vinyl just proved we already had one. Perhaps an article on the amazing amounts of user-created maps/plugs, and then list specific groups, with each name linking to an article on the particular group. Just some thoughts....

-DA
You are correct that wikipedia does allow users to enter content or to create new articles.

However, the problem (from a Myth documentarian' point of view) is that wikipedia is intended to be a 'general interest' encylopedia/knowledgebase - e.g. it's creator and audience do NOT want it to be the source of all knowledge about everything in the world. In the case of Myth-related information in wikipedia, wikipedia is decidedly NOT friendly to articles containing tons of obscure specific game related content. e.g. There is currently a thread on wikipedia discussing whether a loooong page of myth community info (including mapmakers, totals conversions, etc) should be deleted because a) it's too long and b) it isn't 'general interest'.

The goal of this new site will be to document some of the history of the myth community - people, places, things, & events related to the myth series of games - things like tournaments, mapmakers, mapmaking orders, regular orders, myth development history (MythDev/Magma/etc), game servers, the mill, notable or original total conversions, etc.

The reason to have pages which are lists of notable sites/developers/mapmakers etc is the same as the reasons a traditional history book is designed the way it is. When you open a Modern American history book to the chapter about the 1960's you don't see a list of everyone in the US who was alive in the 1960's - you see a list of just the movers and shakers e.g. the people who were leaders/influential/celebrities. Same for the Myth Community History project - if you go to the 'Mapmakers' section you won't see a list of 2000+ mapmaker's names, you will see a much more condensed list of 'notable' mapmakers/groups/orders - click on a link and you'll see more detail. same for the sections on 'Total Conversions', 'Tournaments', etc. I will include a link to a list of all mapmakers for the curious, and probably a link to search the myth map atlas by authorname.

As Elf mentioned a few posts back - if anyone is interested in contributing to this project let he or I know - if you know something, consider helping - no need to commit a lot of time or energy, even raw info like the lists people have been suggesting in this thread or possible topics to include in the Myth Community History Project are very useful and appreciated.

thanks for the info/suggestions - keep em coming.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I guess we might leave some pages open to the public, but some are clearly gonna be biased. For instance, would you leave a god cops page open to public editing? Whether it was people who liked him or hated him, you can guarantee SOMETHING would get put up that wasn't right.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Er, I never said anything about wikipedia...I said wiki. I know a number of communities that run their own wikis (that is, information centers filled with user submitted content, in a similar fashion to the way wikipedia works (well...it is a wiki), shout out for Ward Cunningham).

I do understand that the info on wikipedia is a bit long for its "general info" sort of content. And in turn, I understand your desire to divy up the info, etc. So this is aiming to be more of an information place, not a wiki, just with content on areas you aren't sure on, user supplied. Aye, that will work pretty well too.

And elf, they are called moderators, the regulate stuff, but I understand whatcha mean.

-DA
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Death's Avatar wrote:Er, I never said anything about wikipedia...I said wiki. I know a number of communities that run their own wikis (that is, information centers filled with user submitted content, in a similar fashion to the way wikipedia works (well...it is a wiki), shout out for Ward Cunningham).
Ah sorry - I've got wikipedia on the brain I guess.

The underlying structure of the proposed Myth Community History Project IS a wiki so it has the capability of open access for everyone, but for the reasons Elf mentioned and the history of the myth community in general I am just not sure leaving it open to _everyone_ and _anyone_ would be a good idea. For example, it would not be a good thing if forum trolls were to decide to edit player/order descriptions en masse. Sure changes can be undone and things can be fixed, but I'd prefer to have a slightly more stable body of information than a wide open wiki generally has - does that make sense?
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Aye, totally, as long as I can troll it! >:)
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

The wiki system has a simple revert function to fix vandalism. It's not that big a deal.

-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

:) Da Cid (: McCl wrote:The wiki system has a simple revert function to fix vandalism. It's not that big a deal.

-TGP-
No it's not that big a deal. But using the revert function means someone is going in on a fairly regular basis and reviewing the changes. For one or two pages it's no big deal, but once you get into dozens or hundreds of articles it gets to be a pain in the ass. Even with nice admin features that show recent changes it's not a task I want to add to my life.

Also, I am old fashioned, and when I've written something that I am pretty sure is accurate and reasonably well worded and it's gone through a few edits for clarity and accuracy I am not really feeling the warm fuzzies at the idea of random potentially semi-literate people editing something just because they don't like the way it is worded or have a different point of view.

Like I said, I am old-school - I don't enjoy writing the same article over and over again or having to keep going in to monitor / undo / revert changes.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Maps / Plugins to not forget about:

Chimera (was Badlands listed in the mapmakers list?)
Fetchball
Dorfball
Unity, Unity2, etc. (notable because they were early examples of TFL haxoring done with hardly any tools at all -- also very fun and popular plugins)

Apathy and Tag Extractor both deserve to be considered "major" tools because several of the major plugins others have cited could not have been made without them.

Should have some major tournaments and other long-time traditions in there too, such as Myth World Cup, etc.
Mauglir
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

mauglir wrote:Maps / Plugins to not forget about:

Chimera (was Badlands listed in the mapmakers list?)
Fetchball
Dorfball
Unity, Unity2, etc. (notable because they were early examples of TFL haxoring done with hardly any tools at all -- also very fun and popular plugins)
Had all but the Unity/Unity 2 map sets - thnx.
mauglir wrote:Apathy and Tag Extractor both deserve to be considered "major" tools because several of the major plugins others have cited could not have been made without them.
Those sections need some fleshing out - do you have any interest in working on those pages?
mauglir wrote:Should have some major tournaments and other long-time traditions in there too, such as Myth World Cup, etc.
Elf has already done a slew of work documenting the tournaments (with contributions from others too) - so that info will definitely be included.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

TFL tournies could be added if anyone knew much.

I'm used to school now so work on this should resume soon.
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

also u can add the star wars total conversion.
The map is named plains of naboo.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Enculator wrote:also u can add the star wars total conversion.
The map is named plains of naboo.
The conversions (complete and partial) I would probably start off with (list from the Myth Map Atlas) are:

1861: Civil War (multiplayer map and unitset)
ALIEN Dark Tide
Beetle Master - BETA
Blast Pack (Marathon TC unit set)
Blue and Grey
Bolo
Bushido
CAGES
Core
Dreamseedz
Fallen Heros
Final Fantasy 6
Green Berets
ISOYG (I'll S'pht On Your Grave)
Jinn
Laura Craft - Tomb Robber
Legend of Gor Ash
Leggo My Myth
LvsD Light vs Dark Full Conversion
Manistee Paintball Challenge
Maramyth (plug)
MythWarrior
Polycon
RDF : Rocket Dorf Fest
Sleepy Hollow
Somewhere In The Heavens
Star Wars
The Battle for Terra
The Legend of Gor-Ash
The Seventh God
The Wild West
WWII: Recon
WWII: Titans
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

You know, this thread, however old, is still a good piece of information to have as a sticky reference.

If I went through all of it and made a nice list for historical and referential purposes, think someone could sticky it?

PS: http://gfh.zandervix.com/dustbin/pyle/ for more reference.