Myth 3 Storyline - what was good and what sux....

Talk about anything here.
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

I doubt Bungie intended "Deathless" to mean "Immortal". I always assumed Deathless meant they were not afraid of death.

So I could laugh at shout "DEATHLESS MY ARSE" when a heron guard would run away in multiplayer.

-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
Horus

Post by Horus »

Heron Guards live longer than mortal men (the Herons you play in SB are the same guys that were around when the Cath Bruig got owned by Balor).

"Ancient, even by Heron standards" doesn't mean he looks old, it means he is old. He still looks virtually in his prime even though he's probably 302.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

indeed. As elite warriors who had become immortal by ascending to the ranks of the super-elite and dedicating Heron order, what higher cause would there be than to lay down their life in defence of the empire? Honour is very important to the Herons, as witnessed by their shunning the swords and carrying 10 men's weight of tiles around, simply because they were fighting a battle elsewhere when Muirthemne fell (its not as if they lost a battle or anything).

Also, if I were immortal and had nothing to do but sharpen my sword and wait for the next leveler to appear (and each cycle takes sooo long to come around) then I'd get seriously bored mb.

Re M3's story - prequels suck. All they do is try and explain things and tie up loose ends rather than tell you a new story with new mysteries to ponder. The quality of the narrations (grammer, prose etc) really turned me off in comparison to Bungie's work.

Edited By iron on 1146706218
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

iron wrote:Re M3's story - prequels suck. All they do is try and explain things and tie up loose ends rather than tell you a new story with new mysteries to ponder. The quality of the narrations (grammer, prose etc) really turned me off in comparison to Bungie's work.
Right on!

As for the 'deathless' thing... I still don't think it's meant literally somehow. If they were really deathless, wouldn't they have higher health?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Immortality as in freedom from death by natural causes needn't have anything to do with strength. Rather its simply being exempt from the aging process along with chewing the odd mandrake root to cure injuries and illnesses.

Anyway, I wouldn't take much notice of how the units perform in-game when it comes to discussing them from a story point of view. The two are separate, as the actual units have to be balanced for fun & challenging gameplay rather than being literally true to the story.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

:) Da Cid (: McCl wrote:Actually, the fact that the Trow fight for Mjarin is even further questioned by this:
And even though we recognized that he (Balor) wore the mantle of the Leveler, we owed him our existence, so we became allies.
-Tales From Myth TFL
So either the Trow had to repay an old debt, or Mjarin just used magic to pursuade the Trow. Obviously they don't like the Leveler.

-TGP-
Notice that Trow dont fight for Mjarin but for Moagim Reborn. Not sure but this an make a big diffirence.

MB trow fought for Moagim during Age of Reason?
MB its why Leveller Mjarin bought back Moagim body back 2 life...

BTW is it The Leveler or The Leveller ?
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Doromas

Post by Doromas »

hm, everyone thought that Moagim is the leveller, so when trow dislike leveller and think that Moagim is him than well, we're at the same point again...

and yeah, comparing in-game with story-like isnt err.. um whats the word? requestable?

like in Myth III Connacht's guard owns a group of myrkridia without any losses but in-game the myrkridia would enjoy some warrior-steak...

so are the heron's immortal, live very long or do they simply live a bit longer than "normal" humans?

well if someone asks me how old i am and i say "607" and that guy goes like "WOAH YOURE IMMORTAL!" like the dozens of guys before who asked me that i'd simply say "ya ya i am, now shut it."

mb it would help to find out the definition of "immortal" and "deathless" the myth-people have. as said for a normal human it would seem like immortality but mb its just a long life.

though you have to consider that that guy in M2 endscene says somthing like "MAYBE i will see the next leveller."
Tireces:
"...it is arguable that Doromas was Tireces' most brutal Forum-Admin-General... frequently deleting those who begged him for mercy... he is the reason that many guys with small number of posts no longer appear on forum boards..."

Oh, well I haven't actually played Myth III in ages. I thought someone said the Trow fight for Mjarin.

My mistake.
-TGP-
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

As someone who has the game, played it totally through, and paid careful attention to the story, I have to say that it's VERY, VERY good given what Mumbo Jumbo had to work with, what questions needed to be answered, and what new stuff they added.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

GodzFire wrote:As someone who has the game, played it totally through, and paid careful attention to the story, I have to say that it's VERY, VERY good given what Mumbo Jumbo had to work with, what questions needed to be answered, and what new stuff they added.
Considering 'what they had to work with' though, it should have been better.

And besides, according to you WoR is crap! :D
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em

GodzFire wrote:As someone who has the game, played it totally through, and paid careful attention to the story, I have to say that it's VERY, VERY good given what Mumbo Jumbo had to work with, what questions needed to be answered, and what new stuff they added.
If you paid careful attention to the story, you'd realise it's a big pile of steaming shit. They had a WONDERFUL story to work with, a great concept, awesome characters, and then they go and wank all over the franchise?

I just finished it a few minutes ago, and I can say that the story is lacking. Horribly. The voices suck. Arse. The gameplay is really. SHIT.

I can't believe you would like it after playing Myth I or II! Or ANYTHING! It's a crap game even without the comparison.

-TGP-
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

I found the gameplay amusing, it was quite fun to battle through, except that I think they over-did the 'four heroes' maps since all the heroes are crap, there's no warlock/dwarf equivalent for one except for Myrdred's Dispersal Dream, but he can only use that three times.
No archer equivalent either, I don't see why Ravanna couldn't have been given a short-bow or something, and Myrdred (being a warlock) having a better default attack.

But eh, the story answers as many questions as it possibly can without adding anything really. What they've done is pretty solid, Connacht is cool, brilliant idea for a setting in the Myth world, lots of good bits explored. But it's lacking what Myth 1 and Myth 2 had which was the heap of 'side stories' that get vaguely mentioned in the journals but never really happen. Everything you hear about, you do/see which doesn't exactly fire the imagination.

But yeah, the narrations were bollocks, a) for the voice acting, whoever it is is really boring to listen to, b) because they say fecking EVERYTHING, "And then Connacht polished his axe a little bit before trying a pick-up line on Ravanna", "Thinking back to his childhood, Damas remembered being bullied by the bigger kids and vowing to become an evil bastard to make them pay".
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

The only conclusion I can think of now is:
Myth TFL and SB had a great story, and spoke a lot of the past (such as the Avatara flavor about Mazzarin) and TWA came and messed it up completely! :evil:

Also, is the Wind Age (which is when M3 is set) the age where the Hero rises to defeat the Leveler? And is the Wolf Age the age where the new Leveler (Balor) arrives and destroys everything. Then is the age TFL is set in where another hero arrives (Alric)? Am I right...?

Edit: Also the 4 heroes level in TWA does sound a bad. How can you have a group of heroes with NONEof them having any type of ranged attack. We all have a lot to complain about when it comes to M3! When I played the demo, none of it made any sense!
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

:) Da Cid (: McCl wrote:Oh, well I haven't actually played Myth III in ages. I thought someone said the Trow fight for Mjarin.

My mistake.
-TGP-
If I remember M3 say exactly that Moagim gain Trow help "somehow" ;)
Mjarin could be this "somehow"...
Who knows...
"As long as a single one of us stands..."

Has anyone noticed how the Watcher, Mazzarin and Moagim all have the same voice? If you skip "Crypt of Mazz", play "Fall of a Crown" and play "Dream Duel", you can hear all three voices rather well.

Personally the voices of the three baddest asses since ever are really disappointing.

-TGP-