Maximum Geometries?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

I've been told that because GEOM actions are so complex, if you have too many running at once it can screw up the scripting. Is this true? How many can you have running at a time (I was told 11 or 12)? If they are all isolated from each other (each covers a separate area with very few overlapping) can they still cause problems? If anyone could clarify this issue it would help me out a lot.

A-Red
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Anyone other than his partner in script, graydon that is :P

: pokes Khel a few hundred times for support :
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

bump.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

I wouldn't advise running more than 6 never-ending, zero delay GEOM actions at any time.

When using GEOM's I would always make sure to put a delay, even a tiny one of whatever Loathing will accept (I know Mac Loathing accepts down to 0.07 seconds but the PC Loathing may round this to zero so be sure to check).
Having small delays like this on a GEOM that runs constantly (ie repeats until something happens) but doesn't require its response to be instantaneous is a good idea as it means there is a short delay of a few ticks before it executes next, this reduces load on the game engine.
It's really a case of ensuring you're not running too much at once, the same is true of all scripting actions.

If you're careful with your delays (ie make sure that the delays are such that no more than 6 GEOM's are running simultaneously) then you can run as many as you want.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Wow, that's great to know. Thanks!

A-Red