Couple Questions - same

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Sam The Butcher

Post by Sam The Butcher »

I'm trying to use the new burn feature. I am testing it out with a thrall. So far I have the burn checked and for the projectile I used a thrall collection with walk for flight sequence. What happens is the thrall monster is burned then turns into the thrall projectile. The prob is it barely moves. I have set a pretty high random velocity tried different inertias. Still with the same result. What am I doing wrong.
Second question, I'm trying to use the overide monster artifact tag. Does this change the look of the unit? In the Fear Docs it mentions a bazooka unit, "you can have a soldier pick up a bazooka and have its graphics, speed and attacks change to that of a soldier holding a bazooka." It says though that you have to use the same collection. What I'm wondering is like in bazooka example. Would the unit look like it has the bazooka the whole time even before picking up the bazooka artifact?

Or would the unit not look like it is carring a bazooka then when it picks up the bazooka it changes and then looks like it is carrying the bazooka? If this is right how do you do that using the same collection? Thanks for the help.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Can't help with the first question, but in regards to the artifact switching question, yes, the graphics of a unit can be changed, though it requires the right collection sequences for the unit.

As you know, an artifact can switch or swap monster tags of a unit, provided both monster tags use the same collection tag. However, in the monster tag being switched to, you can assign a whole new set of sequences for walking, attacking, standing, etc...

Using the bazooka example, you would need to create one collection with two sets of sequences for everything: stand, walk, attack, etc... one set without the bazooka, one with.

In the first or default monster tag, assign all the non-bazooka carrying sequences. In the monster tag that the artifact will switch to, assign all the sequences with the bazooka. Once that soldier picks up the bazooka artifact, you'll see him carrying it for all his animations. If he drops the artifact, he'll go back to his normal animations.

As you can see, it's not really that complicated except for the modeling, animating, ambering parts.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

ups! while I was writing this chris posted his answer...anyways here goes anyways...can't help to post it now...

hey sam, the 1.5 feature monster override works sort of like this:

1)you create in amber a collection of a unit/projectile which has sequences with sprites both empty handed(or with machine gun) and with bazooka.

2)you create a sequence in that collection with bazooka by itself on the ground.

3)you create 2 monsters in FEAR. 1 that uses the collection sequences of the unarmed sprites(or with machine gun) and one that uses the sequences of the bazooka one. let's say you name 1 unarmed and 1 bazooka.

4)In fear you create a projectile with the bazooka by itself collection.

5)you create an artifact related to that projectile which says that if picked by this unit (monster restriction=unarmed)will convert this monster unarmed(override monster to)to the monster with bazooka

6)the unit will pick up the bazooka on the ground and will transform itself into the bazooka unit and the sprites will reflect the change.
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Sam The Butcher

Post by Sam The Butcher »

Cool thanks guys.