Limits...

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I am making a map and i included pretty much all of the units collection in it. I got around 30 units type in there and was wondering if that could lead to some problems. I can play the map no problem alone but I was told by doobie it might crash with more people(like 10)

Is 30 units + 2 or 3 scenery items too much for 1.5.1?
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
Phex

Post by Phex »

It always appeared to me that not the monster type count or number of collections etc. determined high or low OOS-chance, but the number of visible units (or objects in general).
(ChrisP) In recent tests using 380+ units, I've not seen a single OOS

Which means as long as you stay in the loathing manual limits it should work fine, I think. I am working on a map with 64 monster types right now and it works perfectly too (Good job Project Magma! Image).

The Limits are:
* Artifact Types - the old limit per map was 16, the new limit is 128.
* Collections - the old limit per map was 64, the new limit is 256.
* Lightning Types - the old limit per map was 4, the new limit is 16.
* Monster Types - the old limit was 32, the new limit is 64.
* Object Types - the old limit was 64, the new limit is 128.
* Projectile Types - the old limit was 256, the new limit is 1024.
* Projectile Group Types - the old limit was 100, the new limit is 1024.
* Scenery Types - the old limit was 32, the new limit is 96.
* String List Types - the old limit was 128, the new limit is 1024.
* models - the old limit per map was 64(?), the new limit is 512.
The unit count has to stay below a maximum of 400 visible units at any time.

rgds,
Phex.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

ok cool :D

i got a little less than 400 units on my map, and i dont think ill ever see all of them in the middle at the same time visible on one screen, hehe.

Heroes of Haxors coming soon to a Tain near you
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
Phex

Post by Phex »

i got a little less than 400 units on my map, and i dont think ill ever see all of them in the middle at the same time visible on one screen

Just to be sure you understood me right: visible units are all units that are visible, no matter where they actually are and especially no matter if they appear on the screen. They would be better described as "units that have been created"; the invisible dwarven pathfinder on 'Into the Breach' counts also as a visible unit for example.
"Uncreated" units are units that are not displayed, cannot act and usually they will appear later, like reinforcements through a tain for example. They count to the visible units as soon as they appear, but not earlier. You can recognize such uncreated units in Loathing when you double click on them and they have the "invisble" flag checked - they appear transparent if this is the case (on netgames they also have to be nontradeable to count as uncreated, otherwise they will probably be created during the trading phase).
If there should be more than 400 visible units / created units at any time, Myth will randomly delete the surplus units which is usually very confusing.
But if you have "a little less than 400" total units on your map, you are on the save side! :cool:
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

ohh, visible in that sense, doh.
thx :D

:: removes stampede ::
Phex

Post by Phex »

Just as a side note (and because I used it on one of my maps and it worked fine): when there are too many units on some gametypes like stampede, just delete some of the regular units to prevent an overflow.
For example, delete 5 of the maybe 20 warriors for each player and give every player 5 stampede units instead when stampede is activated. The limit of 400 units is respected in this case.
To delete units, check for the gametype with an initially active NETGAME TYPE action and activate a UNIT CONTROL whichs deletes the units on success.