question

Talk about anything here.
chazo

Post by chazo »

is their a reason 2 people on the same network can no longer join a game hosted by the other w/ the port open? i cant join my bros games when im home , yet other people can fine :( i coulda sworn at one point in older versions it worked fine? i dunno :\
lank

Post by lank »

if this is on a metaserver (like playmyth), then your computer is probably trying to connect to your brother's by using the public ip address of your combined net connection. to connect inside the lan, however, you must use the local ip (usually 192.168.*.*). i've found the same problem with computers on my lan on the metaservers. tcp/ip will work, and joining other games will work, though.
*toot*
mcchazo

Post by mcchazo »

so uhh, does this mean its no longer possible to join his games on playmyth/mnet? that kind of umm sucks..specially when hes hosting the big games on playmyth..... :\
lank

Post by lank »

i don't suppose anything on your network has changed at all? i have a NAT firewall that does the job, and i've never been able to connect via a metaserver to a locally hosted game. hotline service works the same way, i've found.

sorry, but i don't know what to do... i've pretty well given up on the idea, but i'll have a think for your sake (bearing in mind that i'm no networking guru).
*toot*
mcchazo

Post by mcchazo »

in older versions it worked fine..we always joined eachothers host..even back on Myth1 and bungienet :\ also i can join local hotline servers fine, either open the ports for them or use the 192.168.0.x IP to connect
capital

Post by capital »

mcchazo wrote:in older versions it worked fine..we always joined eachothers host..even back on Myth1 and bungienet :\ also i can join local hotline servers fine, either open the ports for them or use the 192.168.0.x IP to connect
Before flagging it as a bug, _try_ running an older version of myth and reverifying that you can _still_ do it w/ an old client so as to

1) discern if on ur end things changed,

or,

2) the code changed it for the worse.

(I take it from your post you are basing it on your recollection, but if you've reverified it, then howler away in the tech forum)
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Maybe you both have the same IP? But maybe you shouldnt be able to join other games, too... :: shrugs ::
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Yeah same ip wouldnt matter. I'm on a LAN thats connected to the outside world by 1 ip and they can connect by ip to each other fine. Of course, one is dmzed.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Yeah chaz, afaik, nothing has changes, check your NAT firewall to ensure that port 3453 (myth's hosting port) is forwarded to the correct computer, verify the IP address of the computer in question, if you're forwarding port 3453 to ip 192.168.1.100 and the host is at 192.168.1.101 that's gonna be a problem. Check any software firewalls that you have running on the computers, make sure myth is allowed to listen for incoming connection for the server, and the client is allowed to establish outside connections.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

In My experience it depends on the Router. I had a Netgear router, and my brother couldn't join my games when I hosted on playmyth, only when i hosted on my local 192.* addy. But when I got my D-Link router, i could host.
You said it worked in older versions. Are you sure? Did you have the same router when it worked in older versions?
mcchazo

Post by mcchazo »

i'm too lazy to test with older version but i know for sure it worked on TFL

and yes doobie the ports are all set up correctly etc. as i said people were able to join fine except me

no biggie tho i guess, was just wondering if it was just me
capital

Post by capital »

mcchazo wrote:i'm too lazy to test with older version but i know for sure it worked on TFL
whatver.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

are you running any software firewalls chazo? What brand/model of router out of curiosity?
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
mcchazo

Post by mcchazo »

cap even if i wanted to test it i cant because im currently stuck at college til may 14th

and yes cap, it worked fine on TFL, i played 4 games in his host

as for the router its a netgear RP114 or something like that i forget

and no, no software firewalls

i dont understand why it would work on TFL but not SB :(
capital

Post by capital »

ye otay,

Vent doth frustration here:

http://projectmagma.net/cgi-bin....;t=1519