Installing Myth II 1.8.2 on LinuxMint 19

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Sci-Fi Surfer

Installing Myth II 1.8.2 on LinuxMint 19

Post by Sci-Fi Surfer »

Hey Folks!

So, I'm running LM 19 and I've got the original Myth II CDs. When I try to install Magma's 1.8.2, it gives me the following error: This does not appear to be a Myth II CD.

Before even attempting to install anything, I followed the directions listed elsewhere to install libc6-i386, zlib1g:i386, libstdc++6:i386, libglu1-mesa:i386, libopenal1:i386, libgtk2.0-0:i386, and libxtst6:i386.

I've tried using this forum's search function, and I've also tried searching with Google, and I cannot find a thing.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks so much!
hmp

Re: Installing Myth II 1.8.2 on LinuxMint 19

Post by hmp »

You could try doing a manual install as explained here http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7072
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Can you post a screenshot of what the contents of the CD look like in your file manager? Is it an original Mac/PC release or something else like a Linux release?
Sci-Fi Surfer

Post by Sci-Fi Surfer »

hmp wrote:You could try doing a manual install as explained here http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7072
Tried that. All I get is a "You must select an existing Myth II folder." error.

Myrd wrote:Can you post a screenshot of what the contents of the CD look like in your file manager? Is it an original Mac/PC release or something else like a Linux release?
It's an original Mac/PC release. Here's the screenshot:

Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sci-Fi Surfer wrote:
hmp wrote:You could try doing a manual install as explained here http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7072
Tried that. All I get is a "You must select an existing Myth II folder." error.

Myrd wrote:Can you post a screenshot of what the contents of the CD look like in your file manager? Is it an original Mac/PC release or something else like a Linux release?
It's an original Mac/PC release. Here's the screenshot:

Thanks! And what path is it mounted under? The installer is looking for it under /media/MYTH2

Otherwise, the logic in the installer tries to check whether the tags folder has the expected files. Can you check the contents of that folder and whether all the files are accessible (e.g. copying them to your drive works).

The expected files are:
international small install
international large install
small install
medium install
large install

Also your screenshot is a bit small. Do I see it right that the name of the CD is actually MYTH_2?
Sci-Fi Surfer

Post by Sci-Fi Surfer »

Myrd wrote:Thanks! And what path is it mounted under? The installer is looking for it under /media/MYTH2
<-snip->
Also your screenshot is a bit small. Do I see it right that the name of the CD is actually MYTH_2?
To answer that in reverse order, the literal name of the volume is MYTH_II, and it is mounted in the filesystem as /media/mike/MYTH_II.

I didn't know if it failed some kind of autodetect process or not, but I have to manually feed it the mounted CD, and I get that error. (The other error is when I try the "upgrade" path and point it to the folder I've moved over.)

Otherwise, the logic in the installer tries to check whether the tags folder has the expected files. Can you check the contents of that folder and whether all the files are accessible (e.g. copying them to your drive works).

The expected files are:
international small install
international large install
small install
medium install
large install
Well, the literal filenames in my tags directory (and file sizes in brackets) are:
  • interna1.ion [68.3 MB]
    internat.ion [61.2 MB]
    largeins.tal [344.4 MB]
    mediumin.sta [3.7 MB]
    smallins.tal [35.3 MB]
The files all have read and write permissions on my hard drive, and read permissions on the CD.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Wow! I wonder why they're different.

Can you run md5 on them and post their hashes? I just want to confirm their contents are what's expected.

If their contents are good, then it should be possible to add custom logic to the installer to use those instead and rename them appropriately. Just very surprising to see them named differently.
Sci-Fi Surfer

Post by Sci-Fi Surfer »

Myrd wrote:Can you run md5 on them and post their hashes? I just want to confirm their contents are what's expected.
Hey Myrd!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. Here are the MD5 sums:

Code: Select all

interna1.ion:   31d0cec54ed75a0fb49ebfc43aaef0da

internat.ion:   63de591595aba9521667b57120092b3e

largeins.tal:   6c473476d80e9f6fd069468d4b45be40

mediumin.sta:   5335a2d28f60f1b60fcb8745534484ac

smallins.tal:   c390941fe0693503a841ed85961b54d8
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Those checksums match the Polish localization:
http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=6618
Sci-Fi Surfer

Post by Sci-Fi Surfer »

Ok, so, at this point I really feel like an idiot for not doing the *obvious* thing.

I went in and manually renamed the files in my tags folder to what they are supposed to be, then opened up the updater and voila! it did the installation and now I have a running copy of Myth II.

Thanks, folks! I really appreciate everything!

EDIT: Ok, one other question... I'm running this on a laptop set up with an external monitor and USB speakers, keyboard, mouse... etc. How do I use my USB speakers instead of just the on-board ones?