alt tabbing and losing camera control

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
killerking

alt tabbing and losing camera control

Post by killerking »

Hi guys,

Sometimes I alt tab during a game very quickly (ie to change the song i'm listening to) and on rare occasions it happens that when I return to myth, my camera goes 'out of control'. What I mean by this is that it feels like one key is stuck (i.e. d) and the camera keeps moving in one direction forever.
Yesterday this made me lose some important units in a coop game which sucked quite a bit so I finally decided to go over here and ask you guys: could you please fix this issue?! I think other people might have noticed it as well.
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: alt tabbing and losing camera control

Post by Myrd »

What OS are you using? You mention it acts like a key is stuck - when this happened did you actually press any of those keys? Does the issue go away when you move the mouse or press a key?
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I've had that happen to me too for years and years on OSX. It's when you have whatever that preference is where if you mouse cursor the edges of the map, it moves the camera that way. Then if you tab out while your mouse is at the edge, it will keep going.
killerking

Post by killerking »

I'm using windows 10. The problem doesn't disappear when I press the 'stuck' key again. The camera stops moving when I press the key to move the camera in the opposite direction, but once I release it the camera drifts away again.

I also recognize the problem mentioned by Godzfire, but I was using OSX (think it was 10.4) at the time.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Maybe Windows has the same issue with that one option.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hey Killerking, thanks for reporting this issue. I had not seen it myself. I'm surprised to hear it because the code was specifically designed to avoid the possibility of a key getting stuck.

The first thing I would recommend is to switch to 1.8.1 beta, which is backwards compatible. There is a small possibility that the issue was already fixed by some of the changes.

Second thing, when it happens please try the following program to check if the key is really stuck (not just in myth): http://projectmagma.net/~melekor/uploads/keystate.zip . It will print out the list of virtual keys that are currently pressed.

A few more questions:
How easy is it for you to reproduce this issue? How rare are we talking about?
What is your desktop DPI in Windows 10?
Does it still happen with the mouse camera movement preference disabled?
When the issue happens, are you still able to select things normally with the mouse?
killerking

Post by killerking »

I'll try to reproduce this later on, short on time at the moment unfortunately.