Total Codex Help

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
DarkMatterBurn

Total Codex Help

Post by DarkMatterBurn »

First off, I'd like to apologize. I'm sure you guys have answered this question dozens of times, but I can't find a solution. :facepalm:

Like most everyone, I'm a longtime Myth lover, lost the original CD's, yada yada. Long story short, I bought a fresh copy of the Total Codex off Amazon, but I don't know how to proceed. The Myth II updater doesn't recognize the CD as a Myth II CD, so it doesn't do anything, and I don't know how to install directly from the CD itself.

The Total Codex disks are compatible with both Mac and Windows, and I'm capable of running either OS, so I'll gladly take help for either side.

Help please? :mrgreen:
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Total Codex Help

Post by Pyro »

Download the latest Myth 2 download found here. (Currently v1.8.0.) If you are running Mac OS X, your computer won't recognize the Myth II CD as it is based on old software that is not compatible anymore. However, The latest update comes with an installer. So run the update and choose the option that installs the game from the CD. It will install it and update it.

If you are on Windows, the CD installer should work unless the CD is damaged due to a bad scratch. If this is the case you can still do a manual install which works for both Windows and Mac OS X.

For manual install, create a "Myth II" folder. Place it where you want it for example in "C:\Program Files (x86)" if using Windows or "Applications" if on Mac. Find the "tags" folder located inside the Myth II CD. Copy it into your new Myth II folder. Now run the latest update and tell it where you have Myth II. Done.

You can also play online with other people at Gate of Storms. Read the FAQ if you don't know how to get on it. Activity varies on time of day, week, year. So don't give up on it so quickly, or better yet invite friends there.

Running Myth TFL is a bit more complicated. It hasn't been updated in years so it might not work on the latest operating systems. You can however play it on Myth II. After you have Myth II installed and updated get The Fallen Levels which is a single player Myth II plugin of the TFL campaign. Extract it from the ZIP file and place the plugin in the "plugins" folder found in the Myth II folder. All plugins go there, just make sure they are extracted from their ZIP file.

Parts of that plugin will work in a half TFL, half Myth2 sort of way. If you enable "TFL Gameplay" it will behave like Myth TFL instead of that other way. If you miss the TFL feel of the status bar and menu get the TFL Interface. Place it in the plugins folder and then go to Preferences > Interfaces. Select it and hit OK.

If you miss TFL multiplayer maps, then TFL Multipack is what you need.