Myth III on Mac OS X Yosemite

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
desertrat

Myth III on Mac OS X Yosemite

Post by desertrat »

I am trying to get Myth III running on Mac OS X Yosemite. Has anyone had success?

It looks like Michael Bagnall of Elusivemind.com had a build working on Intel Macs back in late 2012, but his Myth website and zip file are gone.
(http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/stor ... leID=21272)

However, I found the patch on udogs.net

1) Downloaded myth 3 1.4 patch from http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/%20Myt ... .4-osx.zip

2) OS X built-in zip was unable to decompress. Apparently, the zip file is damaged (it starts being corrupted on the ffPatch.tag file. So I used tar in the terminal to extract at least the Myth3.app program.

3) Downloaded the Myth 3 1.3.1 patch to get an uncorrupted version of ffPatch.tag

4) Launched the Myth 3 1.4 app. It runs and displays the menu, but I cannot click on any of the menu items or proceed any further. The app generates a myth_log.txt file:

2015-03-20 17:41:18
Myth III |iUniversal|p - Build 291 running under MacOS 1092 (Intel) ----------------------------------------------
2015-03-20 17:41:18 /Users/mbagnall/Desktop/myth/CoreLibrary/logo/logo_table.cpp, line #208: logo cache md5 failure
Error: File system Read in /Users/mbagnall/Desktop/myth/CoreLibrary/tag_files/preferences.c, line #148: couldn't open input preferences - preferences/input
Error: File system Read in /Users/mbagnall/Desktop/myth/CoreLibrary/tag_files/preferences.c, line #148: couldn't open input preferences - preferences/input
Error: File system Read in /Users/mbagnall/Desktop/myth/CoreLibrary/tag_files/preferences.c, line #148: couldn't open display options preferences - preferences/display options
Error: File system Read in /Users/mbagnall/Desktop/myth/CoreLibrary/tag_files/preferences.c, line #148: couldn't open screen preferences preferences - preferences/screen preferences
2015-03-20 17:41:18 Running Windowed Mode at 640 x 480, 32 bit
2015-03-20 17:41:18 glVendor: Intel Inc.

2015-03-20 17:41:18 glRenderer: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine

Error: File system Read in /Users/mbagnall/Desktop/myth/CoreLibrary/tag_files/preferences.c, line #148: couldn't open sound preferences - preferences/sound
2015-03-20 17:41:18 /Users/mbagnall/Desktop/myth/Myth3Code/bitmap_dialogs/entry_point_list_control.c, line #530: Starting Tag Scan
2015-03-20 17:41:18 /Users/mbagnall/Desktop/myth/Myth3Code/bitmap_dialogs/entry_point_list_control.c, line #574: End of Tag Scan
Jon God

Re: Myth III on Mac OS X Yosemite

Post by Jon God »

I'd PM ElusiveMind on here to see if he can help you out (That's Michael Bagnall).
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
desertrat

Post by desertrat »

Thanks. I will try to PM him.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

This is him. That was the latest account he has used here.
mrbagnall

Post by mrbagnall »

Let me start by saying I would *love* to get Myth III working on Mavericks and Yosemite (the problems started with Mavericks).

The problem is it is a lot of work and it has been a long time since I did Macintosh Application development so I'd have to brush up on a lot of things I don't ordinarily work with day to day. Not to say I wouldn't do it and it's not interesting, but there have just been so many unknowns. My interest in doing so would depend on

1. Getting the game into the App Store for people to buy and play. Regardless of who gets paid and how much - without some roadmap that includes this - it's pretty much a vain effort even if it would be an excellent challenge.

2. Player interest. Lets fact it, M3 has always been the bastard step-child to the Myth family. It was like that when we were working on it. It would be motivating if I was getting 10 or 15 emails a week from different people asking about doing this, but I've had maybe that many in the last 10 years. (10 years... does that make anybody as nauseous as it does me?!?)

3. Helpers. It's too big of a job for one guy. I've found one or two other guys that was part of the MythMaps/MythDev/FlyingFlip tree that could possible be talked into it. But in fairness, we'd need

a) developers - code people who know code, know games and are smart cookies
b) qa - testers and qa people who are professionals. the myth community has never excelled at testing it's own stuff just because we're already so close to it and so familiar we miss a lot of things.

I did receive a Skype about 3 months ago from Tuncer Deniz about reviving the game ... I provided him with every ounce of documentation and information that I still had including that I had access to or could get access to many of the materials we had. Sine then I have heard nothing. I even gave him contact information within Project Magma but never heard if that went anywhere.

We're all getting older. We're all getting on in our careers (those of us who worked on things). Hell I was in my 20s and running my own business at the peak of my involvement.. Now I have software teams to manage and many other projects I'm pursuing. That doesn't mean I'm not interested, but this is a big project and I couldn't do it by myself if I wanted to. i'm 43 with two kids now, a good career and a serious ice hockey addiction (I play). I'm not opposed to putting the band back together or forming a new band. But .. to be honest - nobody seems to be more than passively interested.

:(
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

mrbagnall wrote:I did receive a Skype about 3 months ago from Tuncer Deniz about reviving the game ... I even gave him contact information within Project Magma but never heard if that went anywhere.
From what I heard, it didn't go anywhere. Tuncer might have lost interest or hasn't had time to reply back at all.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

mrbagnall wrote:Let me start by saying I would *love* to get Myth III working on Mavericks and Yosemite (the problems started with Mavericks).

The problem is it is a lot of work and it has been a long time since I did Macintosh Application development so I'd have to brush up on a lot of things I don't ordinarily work with day to day. Not to say I wouldn't do it and it's not interesting, but there have just been so many unknowns. My interest in doing so would depend on

1. Getting the game into the App Store for people to buy and play. Regardless of who gets paid and how much - without some roadmap that includes this - it's pretty much a vain effort even if it would be an excellent challenge.

2. Player interest. Lets fact it, M3 has always been the bastard step-child to the Myth family. It was like that when we were working on it. It would be motivating if I was getting 10 or 15 emails a week from different people asking about doing this, but I've had maybe that many in the last 10 years. (10 years... does that make anybody as nauseous as it does me?!?)

3. Helpers. It's too big of a job for one guy. I've found one or two other guys that was part of the MythMaps/MythDev/FlyingFlip tree that could possible be talked into it. But in fairness, we'd need

b) qa - testers and qa people who are professionals. the myth community has never excelled at testing it's own stuff just because we're already so close to it and so familiar we miss a lot of things.

I did receive a Skype about 3 months ago from Tuncer Deniz about reviving the game ... I provided him with every ounce of documentation and information that I still had including that I had access to or could get access to many of the materials we had. Sine then I have heard nothing. I even gave him contact information within Project Magma but never heard if that went anywhere.

We're all getting older. We're all getting on in our careers (those of us who worked on things). Hell I was in my 20s and running my own business at the peak of my involvement.. Now I have software teams to manage and many other projects I'm pursuing. That doesn't mean I'm not interested, but this is a big project and I couldn't do it by myself if I wanted to. i'm 43 with two kids now, a good career and a serious ice hockey addiction (I play). I'm not opposed to putting the band back together or forming a new band. But .. to be honest - nobody seems to be more than passively interested.

Sadly that's pretty much been the state of Myth for the past few years. It's gone from a small community to almost non-existent, and it sucks ass because the game is still fun and has viability but the company that could do something with it doesn't know it even exists. At this point it's almost like just go for broke and make it mobile device compatible then upload it to Steam / Apple Store / other gaming sites for free and see what happens. Yea yea yea, 'but then Take 2 could sue and get it taken down'. Well, seeing as the development of Myth is essentially dead at this point anyway, it's a calculated risk and maybe then someone at Take 2 would at least listen to actually get it published legally and properly.
desertrat

Post by desertrat »

Thank you very much for the reply! It is too bad, but very understandable.
mrbagnall wrote:Let me start by saying I would *love* to get Myth III working on Mavericks and Yosemite (the problems started with Mavericks).

DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

desertrat wrote:Thank you very much for the reply! It is too bad, but very understandable.

You can always hold on for myth 3 for myth 2 port I've been working on. A new beta should be out shortly with all or most levels being fully playable.

pm me if you'd like to know more about it.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
desertrat

Post by desertrat »