Myth II Internet Play Between Two Macs

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
trialofthecentury

Myth II Internet Play Between Two Macs

Post by trialofthecentury »

My brother and I are trying to play Myth II against each other over the Internet (he lives just a few minutes away from me). However, we're getting that irritating firewall message when we try to join each other's games via IP address.

A few questions:

1) I've done port mapping on my router, but that hasn't helped. Does it have to be done on his router, as well?

2) When I put in the IP address on the port mapping screen, is it supposed to be *his* IP address, or *mine?*

3) I see two IP addresses on my Network settings in System Preferences: IP Address and Router. Which one am I supposed to used?

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth II Internet Play Between Two Macs

Post by Pyro »

No. Port mapping is only needed on the computer that is hosting Myth. The IP address that you have to put on the port mapping screen is the host computer's internal IP. Remember your internal IP is different from the external IP address the internet sees you use. Make sure to map port TCP 3453.

To see your internal IP do the following:

If you are on Windows, go to Start and find Run. Type "cmd" without the quotes and press enter. In the new window, type "ipconfig" without the quotes and press enter. A bunch of text will be shown. Look for "IPv4 Address" and it will show you your internal IP address. That is the address you need to map.

If you are on Mac, go to the Apple icon and select System Preferences. Go to Network and your internal IP address should be shown on that window. It won't be Router address since that is the address of the router. It should be the other one.

Also make sure any firewall software you have has an exception made for Myth2. If you are on Windows that means you should check that Windows Firewall allows Myth2 to host.