Myth TFL cutscenes aren't playing

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
yaapelsinko

Myth TFL cutscenes aren't playing

Post by yaapelsinko »

I've installed Myth and then the 1.5 update to make it work.

The only cutscenes I've seen was Bungie logo and cartoon before first mission (that one is somehow working). Any other cutscene, including those comic styled ones with the narrator (I see only a map and scrolling text), are not appearing at all.

I've tried to copy the file from cd to game's folder, but it not helped.
Is there some magic option or what?
juliocpaes

Re: Myth TFL cutscenes aren't playing

Post by juliocpaes »

Hi yaapelsinko,

you have Myth 2 ? if yes, you can play with the full plugin :

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/t ... -levels-v2
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

The TFL cutscenes are stored in CD in the "tags" folder as "cutscene.gor". You can copy from the CD to your "Myth_TFL/tags/" folder. If this does not work it could be that your CD has some bad scratches (or just really dusty). If you want I can upload a copy of that file to see if you have better luck with a copy from a different CD.

Another option is to play the TFL campaign in Myth 2. Have Myth 2 updated to the latest version. Download The Fallen Levels plugin. Extract it and place the plugin in the "Myth II/plugins/" folder. When you load Myth2, enable "TFL Gameplay" to have Myth2 act like Myth TFL when playing the campaign. If you want to load the TFL training map, hold Shift and click on the mapset (Magma - The Fallen Levels v2) to show that level above Crow's Bridge. The training map will only show up in the list for single player.

You can download the TFL cutscenes and place them in "Myth II/cutscenes/" for the game to use them. If you don't have a "cutscenes" folder for Myth2, make one.

To better complete the TFL feel you can also use the TFL Interface. Extract it and place it in your Myth 2 plugins folder. Load Myth2, go to Preferences. Click on the "Interfaces" button. Select it and press OK and OK again. Now the game interface will look more like TFL's interface.

Also, in preferences there are some settings you can change if you prefer it more like TFL. Enable "TFL Style Selection Boxes" if you want the thicker unit selection boxes TFL had. Enable "TFL Style Gesture Arrows" if you want the triangle looking arrows TFL had when indicating to your units what direction to face.

If you want extra detail on the maps (the ground), then make sure you have the Detail Texture Megapack. If you prefer to keep them like TFL had them for nostalgia's sake then don't use it.
yaapelsinko

Post by yaapelsinko »

Wow, quick response for the forum of the game 16 years old. :shock:

I've installed what you've recommend. Levels are working, but cutscenes are not playing, even the very first one. Well at least I can play it on my own, as now they are available in unpacked quicktime...

However, drawings accompanying the narrator seems to be abandoned by developers and not used in game. I don't know then why I remember this picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrjljJul ... page#t=324
Maybe my old CD had them, but two different images I've tried to use have no.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

What OS (Windows, Mac, etc) are you on? I believe you need quicktime installed for Myth 2 to properly play the MOV version of the cutscenes. Cutscenes take place before the journal entries (narration). The quicktime version of the cutscenes do not work on classic Mac OS. For those you need the original smacker version.

Another possibility is that you did not place the cutscenes in the right place. Make sure they are in the "cutscenes" folder. It has an "s" at the end. The quicktime files must not be in a subfolder. Move them to the root of "cutscenes". The cutscenes folder must be in the "Myth II" folder and not one of its subfolders.

As for the drawings you mention from that youtube video, you can see them in single player. After every single player map there is a drawing. Depending if you win or lose you see something different. The one you show in that video is one of the ones you see when you lose a map. I think the second TFL level where you have to kill the mayor.

Press Ctrl-Minus to automatically lose a level, if you want to see those drawings. Press Ctrl-Plus to automatically win a level, which will show you different drawings.
yaapelsinko

Post by yaapelsinko »

Pyro wrote:What OS (Windows, Mac, etc) are you on? I believe you need quicktime installed for Myth 2 to properly play the MOV version of the cutscenes.
Windows 7, don't know if there must be some special codecs for the game to support them, but those files are playing well with WMP. Directory for cutscenes is right.

However, I've found that in the original Myth TFL, aside of very first cutscene, another cutscene before the "River of Blood" level is also playing. Strange.

Ahhh, to hell it. I'm close to the end now, while 15 years ago I could barely made it to level 5. :D

Thank you for your help anyway.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Maybe you should install QuickTime. It should make it possible to view the MOV cutscenes in game. You could have some problem with some video codec that is giving you issues.

The Myth TFL cutscenes that don't work might be in areas of the disk that are badly scratched. Another option is copying the "cutscene.gor" file into your "cutscenes" folder. Those original cutscenes use smacker format instead of quicktime. So if you can't play the MOV version at least you could play the smacker one. Of course if your disk is scratch then your TFL GOR file might not fully work.