Myth crashes when i use an specific Item

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Morgoth

Myth crashes when i use an specific Item

Post by Morgoth »

Hi all

Some friends an i are testing a plug based on mazz VI. There is something always happens... When we use an specific item, myth crashes. It happen's only in one computer. We use 2 Mac's and one with W8.1. The windows machine is the one that crashes.

I leave here the the myth crashlog and any idea or help you can give us will be grateful.

Thanks

Myth II Build 427b running under Modern Windows 6.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
DEBUG: Updating monolithic tag cache:
Initial count: 32
Number removed: 15
Number added: 1
New count: 18
INFO: ignoring non-required patch file 'Patch MariusNet'
DEBUG: Adding 13 monolithic tags:
small install
medium install
large install
international small install
international large install
Patch 1.2
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.5
GateofStormsNet
Patch 1.8 Interface
Patch Templates
Magma - Detail Texture Megapack
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for DirectX 11 devices...
Found adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics | ATI Technologies Inc. | OpenGL 4.1
Initializing sound with DirectSound...
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
DirectSound initialized successfully.
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Establishing connection with metaserver at metaserver.gateofstorms.net:6321...
Connected.
Disconnecting from metaserver.
Establishing connection with metaserver at metaserver.gateofstorms.net:6321...
Connected.
Running DirectX 11 at 1600 x 900 (VSync ON)
Starting mesh "Alric Returns II" with 1 plugin...
Alric Returns II b03
Using 1.8.0 gameplay...
Myth Crashed: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Attempting Stack Trace...
0 0x00405c52 ?write_rectangle_texture_vertices@dx11_context@@AAEXPAUrender_rectangle@@PAUdx11_vertex@@HHPAUbitmap_data@@@Z + 0x01fe (myth2code\hardware\directx11\dx11_context.cpp:1191)
1 0x00406afe ?render_surfaces@dx11_context@@AAEXPAUID3D11DeviceContext@@PAUID3D11RenderTargetView@@PAUID3D11DepthStencilView@@PBUD3D11_VIEWPORT@@PAPAUrender_surface@@I_N5@Z + 0x01b2 (myth2code\hardware\directx11\dx11_context.cpp:1367)
2 0x00404c0f ?render_scene@dx11_context@@AAEXPAUID3D11DeviceContext@@PAUID3D11RenderTargetView@@PBUD3D11_VIEWPORT@@PAUrender_surface_list@@PAPAUID3D11ShaderResourceView@@@Z + 0x0011 (myth2code\hardware\directx11\dx11_context.cpp:765)
3 0x00404aa6 ?rasterize_scene@dx11_context@@QAEXPAUview_data@@PAUrender_surface_list@@PAE2_NPAPAX3I@Z + 0x000a (myth2code\hardware\directx11\dx11_context.cpp:682)
4 0x004093a3 _rasterize_scene_dx11 + 0x0009 (myth2code\hardware\directx11\render_dx11.cpp:223)
5 0x0047d119 _rasterize_scene_hardware + 0x0025 (myth2code\hardware\hardware_rasterizers.c:1071)
6 0x004c13be _rasterize_scene + 0x0052 (myth2code\render\render_rasterize.c:377)
7 0x004b2c1a _render_scene + 0x0004 (myth2code\render\render.c:146)
8 0x0042bec9 _rasterize_myth + 0x0005 (myth2code\main.c:1381)
9 0x0042bdb1 _idle_myth + 0x00a4 (myth2code\main.c:1301)
10 0x0042bca1 _idle_game_state + 0x0010 (myth2code\main.c:1211)
11 0x0042b59a _update_everything + 0x001c (myth2code\main.c:583)
12 0x0042b3c7 _main + 0x0020 (myth2code\main.c:440)
13 0x00466d2f _WinMain@16 + 0x0002 (myth2code\shell_windows.c:274)
14 0x004f70a2 _WinMainCRTStartup + 0x0051 (crt0.c:251)
15 0x772f338a ? + 0x0000 (?:0)
16 0x77889f72 ? + 0x0000 (?:0)
17 0x77889f45 ? + 0x0000 (?:0)
Stack Trace Complete
Recording Buffers Flushed
Saved Recording To 'Crash- 2014-06-03 14.33.38'
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth crashes when i use an specific Item

Post by Pyro »

Tell your friend to make sure he has the latest graphics drivers. Since that log says AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, try this link. Click on the download link. It will download a tool to detect what driver you may need. If it finds something for him to install, do it and then see if the crashes remain.

He won't need to play the game to find out, he could just replay the saved film named "Crash- 2014-06-03 14.33.38". If it still crashes then the updated drivers did not help. This Windows user could also try switching to OpenGL instead of DirectX in preferences to see if that prevents further crashes. However, I suggest updating the drivers first since the same problem can still be there for OpenGL.

What item are you using that causes this crash?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

That looks like it might be a DX11 bug which is code that I've worked on. Alternatively it might be a graphics driver bug, hard to tell. Can you please send me a link to the plugin and ideally a film that causes the crash (maybe taken from another one of the machines in the game or just the Last Recording from the machine that crashed if that reproduces it)?

In the meantime you might be able to work around the issue by switching to OpenGL in preferences. Please also update your video drivers to the latest if you haven't already as Pyro recommended.
Morgoth

Post by Morgoth »

Crash- 2014-06-05 22.15.23.zip
Recording from Crash
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
You can dl the plugin from:
http://www.tinyurl.com/Mrgth

The plugin's name is Alric Returns II b04.

The item that makes myth crash is called "Dimension". It's an item used by Paladin and you can get it at his inventory (the inventory is random, so maybe you will need to rs a few times until you get it).

The FX for that item still being a beta version.

Will try to update graphics drivers and see if it solves the issue.

Thanks guys, and if you can get another solutions, i'll be grateful.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I'm on Windows and using DirectX. I tried that "Dimension" attack and it crashed Myth for me as well. I have Intel integrated graphics and the driver was already up to date.

I looked into the plugin. (By the way I didn't even know you guys were using the updated Mazz as a base for it.) I found the problematic tag that causes one of these crashes. Don't know if there are other tags that could cause similar crashes in this plugin but the collection "FX Energy Fissure" has one sequence. The sequence has 28 frames but the last one is empty. Change that number to 27 and press enter for the sequence to update. Save the tag and problem fixed.

Did you guys get that collection from some other plugin or did you make it yourself? If you made it yourself, what collection editor (and version of it) did you use?
Morgoth

Post by Morgoth »

I said since the begining that the plug was based on Mazz VI.

Now... the collection was not made by me. I took it from Renwood's and oogabooga's HD total conversion (You should take a look of it, the plug has really good stuff).

I had no collection editor. Many year's ago i used amber for edit collections, but now i can't find it for Mac. Don't know where can i get something similar. If you know about it, will appreciate if you share with me.

Since i can't edit the collection file, i decided to use another collection for the item. I try it and i had no issues.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help. If i can help you in anyway, just tell me.

Greetings
Morgoth

Post by Morgoth »

Still being weird that some computers crashed and others can handle the error with the empty frame in the collection file.

Don't know if someone is in charge about crash reports for fix problems, but maybe that guy should take a look of this issue.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Morgoth wrote:I said since the begining that the plug was based on Mazz VI.
Yes, but I thought it would be the original Mazz VI (from 2006) and not the updated one from 2 years ago.
Morgoth wrote:Now... the collection was not made by me. I took it from Renwood's and oogabooga's HD total conversion (You should take a look of it, the plug has really good stuff).
I suspected it was one of Ooga's collections, but was not sure. He might not be too happy you took it without asking. Mapmakers usually ask permission to use other people's work for their own maps and mention them in their credits (like in a readme). Most won't mind as long as you don't take credit for stuff they did but there are a few that will refuse to let anyone touch their stuff for whatever reason.
Morgoth wrote:I had no collection editor. Many year's ago i used amber for edit collections, but now i can't find it for Mac. Don't know where can i get something similar. If you know about it, will appreciate if you share with me.
Amber only worked for classic Mac OS and won't work with newer operating systems like Mac OS X. There is a newer collection editor called Oak. Melekor can help with this. Private message him on these forums to get access to it since it is in private beta testing.
Morgoth wrote:Don't know if someone is in charge about crash reports for fix problems, but maybe that guy should take a look of this issue.
We know. But the programmers can't fix problems they don't know exist. The guy that worked in the DirectX stuff is punkUser. He already replied to your post because he wanted information to know why it crashes.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Ah, the old bad data in a plugin case ;) I guess GL guards against that or something. Hopefully it's not too deep in the logic... would suck to add another branch deep in the rendering code (maybe we could pre-validate plugins or something instead).

Anyways thanks for posting, I'll take a look and get it fixed when I get the chance unless someone beats me to it.