Get Myth 2 to run without CD

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
andross77

Get Myth 2 to run without CD

Post by andross77 »

Hi all. Just registered on this site for a technical question. I bought the Myth Total Codex again like a year ago and loaded it all up on Windows 8. Now I have Windows 8.1. Either way I can't remember if over a year ago I had it working without the CD or not but I don't think I did.

How can I do that? When I leave the Myth 2 CD everything runs great (and i'm on the 1.8 patch). But ALL my games are on Steam/Origin/Uplay so I really don't want to have to keep the CD in all the time. Is the only way an illegal CD crack? Or where you use some type of imaging software? i'd rather not do those things. Or is it as simple as changing some line in an INI file or something?

Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. if anyone remembers Mr. Happy, that was me :) The highest I ever got to was 2nd in world. Never could get #1 :(
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Get Myth 2 to run without CD

Post by Melekor »

The CD check was removed from the game somewhere around version 1.5 iirc. As long as you have done a "full install" (that's an option in the original installer) so that all the game files are on your computer, then you don't need the CD.
andross77

Post by andross77 »

Thanks for your response but I'm on 1.8 and I did the full install so I'm not sure what to tell you :-) anyone else have windows 8.1 and experiencing the same.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Go into your Myth II folder. Find the myth_log text file. Copy/paste its contents into a post for us to check out. I'm on Windows 8 (haven't updated to 8.1 yet) and have no such issues. The Myth log is overwritten each time you run Myth so run it once and then copy/paste what it had.

Also, make sure that when you are running the update, you are pointing it to the right folder. It won't know where you have the game installed so make sure it points to the Myth II folder. How are you trying to run the game, using a shortcut? The update will rename the original executable and place the new one. Make sure you are running Myth II.exe and not Myth II old.exe.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Another thing to try: go into the "tags" folder in your install directory and delete the "plugin cache" file. Now try launching without the CD.
andross77

Post by andross77 »

Thanks for the help guys. I went for the easiest solution first and it worked! The "go into tags folder and delete the plugin cache file" suggestion :) I love how knowledgeable you all are! Gonna get back to playing Myth 1 and 2.

If only there were hundreds of thousands of people playing this game now online or they were making a new Myth....*sigh*

thanks again!!!! :D :D :D
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Glad you got it working :) This problem is actually caused by a very recently discovered bug with the plugin cache system. We'll have it fixed in our next release.