Myth II on Ubuntu 14.04

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Ohgre

Myth II on Ubuntu 14.04

Post by Ohgre »

I had an existing install running well on 12.04 LTS, and having just upgraded to 14.04 am now having problems. I know...should have stuck with an older version, tbh I haven't played in so long I completely forgot about M2.

Anyway. Having read around the forums I've installed 32-bit versions of libs Myth wa complaining about on launch:
sudo apt-get install libopenal0:i386
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa:i386

Which allows me to run M2, but with two problems.

Firstly, sound isn't working. [EDIT] IT IS NOW! Forgot I'd sym-linked plugins to a folder elsewhere, put plugin folder back in the Myth II folder and it now sound works \o/ [EDIT]

Secondly there is an odd defect in video when moving, a bit like a 50 pix tall horizontal band of water sprayed on the screen...its just sort of more blurry and patchy. Disappears as soon as camera rotate stops.

Also want to double check I have the latest 1.8 installed but the installer wont work because Error: Could not load library 'libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0' and that library doesn't seem to be available. Will try manual install.

Any suggestions welcome.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Myth II on Ubuntu 14.04

Post by Melekor »

The video defect you mentioned sounds like screen tearing to me. Enabling vsync should fix it.

You can check if you are running the latest version by looking at the build number in the top left hand corner of the main menu screen. The current build is 427.
akula65

Post by akula65 »

Also want to double check I have the latest 1.8 installed but the installer wont work because Error: Could not load library 'libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0' and that library doesn't seem to be available. Will try manual install.
This is exactly the same issue slamelov reported in this thread last month:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... 518#p66780

So this looks like a more general Ubuntu-based distro issue, and perhaps more generally a Debian-based distro issue. I would suggest PMing slamelov and see if (s)he found a solution. If that fails, you might make inquiries in a support forum specific to your distro concerning this library. If you find a solution, please post it here.

Perhaps the folks at Magma might consider a 64--bit Linux release (at least with the next Myth release). Half of my machines have 32-bit openSUSE 12.3, and half have 64-bit openSUSE 12.3, depending on how much memory is installed.
Ohgre

Post by Ohgre »

This is exactly the same issue slamelov reported in this thread last month:
Not entirely. I'd read that thread before posting, that's how I found out which packages to install.

For the libgtk-x11, more so, I missed that, but where slamelov said he'd installed it, I can't even find it to install. But that's not really my issue, I have it installed and working.

At this point its just the graphics artefact that's troubling me.

vsync is already enabled. I have done some experimenting and found it only happens at the full screen resolution of 2560 x 1440. So a workaround is just to use a lower res. I'll do some more experimenting, vsync off, playing with Max FPS etc.

Thanks for your time and help.
Ohgre

Post by Ohgre »

Looks like limiting the Max FPS to 95 gets rid of the graphics glitch. All sorted. Thanks.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

If I recall correctly, I'm not a dev, the human eye can only interpret up to around 60 fps, any more is just redundant. Generally speaking an FPS cap at 60 works great in myth. That said, I thought vsync was supposed to do something like that automatically, so maybe this is a moot point.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Humans can certainly see a difference above 60hz, the thing is you need a monitor which will actually display the frames that fast, otherwise the extra frames are either thrown away (vsync) or partially displayed which causes screen tearing.

It's only recently that these fast monitors are available and cheap enough, so many people aren't aware of them yet. Once you try a 120+hz monitor though, you won't want to go back :wink:
Ohgre

Post by Ohgre »

That's interesting. Maybe its time to take a serious look at overclocking my Qnix 2710. I'll cap it at 60 fps for now though.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Interesting, I wasn't aware you could overclock LCD panels. Be careful though, it would be a shame to damage your hardware.