ANDROID OS/Wifi Issues

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Platinum

ANDROID OS/Wifi Issues

Post by Platinum »

Anyone know how to fix the Wifi issues associated with connecting and Android phone to a wifi network? It will say "obtaining IP address" for a few minutes, then say "Avoided poor internet connection." No idea what else to do. It will connect to other networks where I work, but not at my home. Anyone know what I need to do?
GodzFire

Re: ANDROID OS/Wifi Issues

Post by GodzFire »

Does anything involving technology that you own actually work properly?
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Considering the vast amounts of technology out there, I'd say no. To be more specific, the older, more reliable technology I own works great. Its all this new garbage that doesn't work. That's why I have a 4 year old flip phone that works perfectly. This smart phone is one given to me by my employer. This computer was "supposed" to be good, but my old one worked light years better.

All my tools work magnificently... some of which are 50+ years old.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Don't blame the computer.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Thanks for the very helpful advice.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I don't own an android, but it could be something up with your router. If you have access, perhaps try and reset it?

I know, not much help, but I've not messed around with networking stuff in quite a while.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Do other devices successfully connect to your home wi-fi? Your laptop? Other people's phones?

Based on the little info so far, my wild guess would be...antenna size, orientation, & distance all matter with wi-fi. Your router could be having a problem, and a laptop with a large antenna would still connect, but your Android not. What if you stand right next to it with your Android? Or download some wifi signal strength diagnostics to your laptop, determine if your router is putting out as good a signal as it should be.

My Android connects fine, everywhere.
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

All other devices connect fine, including my desktop which is 50 feet away. This also includes an iPhone that can connect. I have stood next to the router and it still gives me that error message.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Platinum wrote:All other devices connect fine, including my desktop which is 50 feet away. This also includes an iPhone that can connect. I have stood next to the router and it still gives me that error message.
Based on the evidence, I'd conclude there's a problem with your phone and that specific home router.

You can either diagnose further...or just try something and see if it fixes.

To diagnose...

Check with the manufacturer, see if there's a known problem or a firmware update. Also possibly reset router to factory defaults and see what that does.

Or find someone with the same Android phone, see if they can connect at your house. Or find someone with the same router, try to connect to it.

Or just borrow someone's router (or buy one), set it up at home, cross your fingers. Kind of how a mechanic might fix a car...they deduce what "must" be wrong, replace it...and then see :P
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides