When autohost chats, sometimes it hotkeys the interface?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
jason_ac

When autohost chats, sometimes it hotkeys the interface?

Post by jason_ac »

When I'm autohosting, sometimes if I chat in the game lobby with the players, my keystrokes trigger the interface buttons. If I type the letter o, I might trigger "Options". If I type an s, I might Start the game :P I can't figure out why it starts doing this, or what makes it stop. Sometimes I just hit all the modifier keys once or twice (shift, command, option, control), and that seems to reset things...though sometimes it's too late, I've already started a screwed-up game, & everyone drops and leaves the server.

Why even have hotkeys in the game lobby at all? No one's in such a rush that they don't have time to click :P
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: When autohost chats, sometimes it hotkeys the interface?

Post by Melekor »

Are you sure you don't have a (sometimes) stuck alt key? I'm not aware of any way that the autohost code could interfere with the keyboard like that, though I suppose it's not inconceivable.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Melekor wrote:Are you sure you don't have a (sometimes) stuck alt key? I'm not aware of any way that the autohost code could interfere with the keyboard like that, though I suppose it's not inconceivable.
I'm on a Mac with a brand-new laptop. I don't think any keys are sticking, and I've had no problems elsewhere. And, oddly, when I "fix" it, for whatever reason someone suggested it was a "sticky" <shift> key causing the problem, so I was hitting the shift key a few extra times...and that fixed it (until the next time). Not even hitting the <command> key. Which, as an autohost (not player), I've been finding no need to ever use the command key while hosting. So it's not like I'm using the command key in Myth, and somehow it's sticking then.

I do switch away from Myth to do other tasks, and do use the command key there.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

jason_ac wrote:I'm on a Mac with a brand-new laptop.
...Just did it again, but differently. I was done auto-hosting for the night, ended the host was in the room lobby, tried to type "good night", but the "n" kept triggering "New". I'd abort the new game, it would happen all over again.

I did some poking around, which "fixed" it, but at no time did I touch the <command> key. I shift-clicked New to go to autohost, typed a few keystrokes there, exited...and magically I could now type "good night".

Also, is there no hotkey for Boot Player? I actually wish there was one, but there seems to not be. LOL, the ONLY button I actually want a hotkey for (because booted players can keep quickly re-joining), and it doesn't have one!
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

This bug drives me nuts. I never know when I pop back to Myth and start typing, will typing an "l" hotkey the "Leave game" and shut down the autohost? Fun times :P
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Are you sure this only happens in the autohost? I think it's more likely to be a general issue with the mac keyboard code.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Melekor wrote:I think it's more likely to be a general issue with the mac keyboard code.
Could be. Unfortunately I've played almost no net games (yet) since returning to Myth. Just solo, & autohosting.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

My old post is gone, but I mentioned that this happens to me, it triggers randomly when tabbing between myth and other applications. To fix it, just tab back out, and back into Myth.

It's not connected to the autohost, as it can happen when just sitting in the lobby.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Jon God wrote:My old post is gone, but I mentioned that this happens to me, it triggers randomly when tabbing between myth and other applications. To fix it, just tab back out, and back into Myth. It's not connected to the autohost, as it can happen when just sitting in the lobby.
The problem is, sometimes I only "find out" because I get caught when typing L or S in chat and end up Leaving & shutting down the host or [jump] Starting the game.

Do we even need a hotkey for Leave & Start? Whereas I sometimes wish we had one for Boot.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

jason_ac wrote:
Jon God wrote:My old post is gone, but I mentioned that this happens to me, it triggers randomly when tabbing between myth and other applications. To fix it, just tab back out, and back into Myth. It's not connected to the autohost, as it can happen when just sitting in the lobby.
The problem is, sometimes I only "find out" because I get caught when typing L or S in chat and end up Leaving & shutting down the host or [jump] Starting the game.

Do we even need a hotkey for Leave & Start? Whereas I sometimes wish we had one for Boot.
I'd still consider it a bug, it's just not connected to Autohosting, from my knowledge.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD