Myth II resolution questions

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
jason_ac

Myth II resolution questions

Post by jason_ac »

I'm a returnee to Myth...I've never forgotten the fond days of being a HEAVY participant at The Myth Codex & other sites, & playing Myth I & II (IMO 1 of the 3 best action-oriented games of all time...along with Robotron, & PS3 Warhawk).

I installed 1.8 from CD, playing on a 15" Macbook Pro. It's BEAUTIFUL, bravo guys, the updates (detail textures!) make it better than my fond memories! And I can play on OS X!

But I want it to look the best it can be, and I'm a little confused about the interaction between resolution settings, and what I should pick.

My laptop will go from 800x600 to 1680x1050. Myth II gives me options from 640x480 to 1280x800. I want it to fill my screen, and look the best it can be.

It seems the only 2 sensible Myth resolutions I should choose are 1280x800 or 1024x640 (both match my screen's aspect ratio). Does that sound right?

They each seem equally beautiful. At higher resolution the mini-map is a bit larger (?). At lower res it looks like I might be able to get a slighter wider field-of-view, not sure. Those are the only differences I see.

Have I figured this all out correctly, or am I missing anything?
Last edited by jason_ac on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
vinylrake

Re: Myth II resolution questions

Post by vinylrake »

If you really want to make Myth2 look it's best be sure you download JonGod's encyclopedic texture pack.

also, you probably know from reading the update notes but since you've been away for so long, the overhead map is resizable. I want to say shift-drag on a corner of the map to change it's size but I am too lazy to look it up.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

vinylrake wrote:If you really want to make Myth2 look it's best be sure you download JonGod's encyclopedic texture pack.
Oh, yeah, got that right off, it's great!

>"you probably know from reading the update notes..."

LOL, no, I didn't, that's a lot of detail to read...many updates! Thanks for the tip! It is shift-clicking, I tracked down old release notes and found it in 1.7.2 notes.

No comment on it, so I guess my "analysis" of resolution-choosing sounded ok to you?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I was going to let the devs address resolution issues since I am not an expert, I just know what works for me. That said my basic assumption and experience with computers (not just Myth) is that you get the clearest picture using a resolution that's native to the monitor/screen.

As I recall, wider screen resolutions do allow you to see more of the 'playing field' than narrow screens do, Myth doesn't fatten the pixels to fill the wider screen it widens your view so renders the edges of your view that are 'chopped off' (in comparison) by narrower screens.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

It's odd that your screen's native resolution is not available, especially since it is a fairly standard one. Unfortunately we'll need one of the devs who is more familiar with the OSX screen code to help debug that one. Obviously having it native res would be ideal.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

punkUser wrote:It's odd that your screen's native resolution is not available, especially since it is a fairly standard one.
I just assumed that even "updated" Myth couldn't handle high res. Will it on Windows, Mac desktops, etc? Should I start a new bug thread on that one topic, for the devs to notice? Or do they eventually read everything here anyway?
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

jason_ac wrote:
vinylrake wrote:If you really want to make Myth2 look it's best be sure you download JonGod's encyclopedic texture pack.
Oh, yeah, got that right off, it's great!
Thanks. :D
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Seriously, for anyone who is familiar with Myth II and hasn't seen it before? The detailed textures makes Myth II *POP* - they are the visual icing on the greatly enhanced underlying cake (yay Myth Devs!) that is Myth II.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

jason_ac wrote:
punkUser wrote:It's odd that your screen's native resolution is not available, especially since it is a fairly standard one.
I just assumed that even "updated" Myth couldn't handle high res. Will it on Windows, Mac desktops, etc? Should I start a new bug thread on that one topic, for the devs to notice? Or do they eventually read everything here anyway?
Myth II does high res really well. Playing it on a large screen 1920 x 1080p monitor with textures turned on is a thing of beauty. Me from 1998 playing Myth II in software mode wouldn't have believed it was possible for Myth to look this good.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

vinylrake wrote:Myth II does high res really well.
Should I start a new bug thread on that one topic, for the devs to notice? Or do they eventually read everything here anyway?

Speaking of awesome, improved graphics, have you checked-out the HD unit conversion?
http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=540

I haven't yet, but I'm looking at it.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Jon God wrote:Thanks. :D
Did you read the review I wrote...I think early this morning?
http://tain.totalcodex.net/reviews/show ... e-megapack
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

jason_ac wrote:I haven't yet, but I'm looking at it.
The higher res units are nice to look at. I happen to own one of the couple of mac models that had some performance issues with the high res units, so I never got in the habit of using them. I also rarely play zoomed in close to my units so even on a large monitor I can't see the detail unless nothing is happening and I just zoom in for the hell of it.

The high-res units are one of those ideas that sounded great in theory especially for everyone who didn't experience any lagging, but for some reason they just never really caught on.

ps. I don't remember if they are the final unit render images or not (I have to assume not) but a couple of the images posted in that thread to promote how nice t he units look are hysterically funny. Particularly the warrior in drag. (see below)
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

vinylrake wrote:The higher res units are nice to look at.
It doesn't work on my new MacBook Pro. :( I emailed Renwood. Did they hi-res anything else, like the trees? Yeah, you'd rarely notice the units, but maybe scenery? Although units would be fun for when you're watching saved recordings and have time to zoom in to admire.