Myth II Inventory Key Help?!

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Cpt_Hughes

Myth II Inventory Key Help?!

Post by Cpt_Hughes »

I've been reading around on here to see if I can find an answer to solve my problem but it seems to only be me. I can't figure out how to get the Inventory keys/option to work for units to save my life :facepalm: . I can press the "I" key all day long only to do nothing at all, and if I check the inventory control bar button in my preferences the "I" key will only make all of the bar buttons vanish. I'm using Myth II 1.8 with multiple plugins collapsed into my local folder for large map making variety. Maybe I'm missing something? If someone can help me figure this problem out it would be much appreciated. Its driving me nuts and holding me back.

Thank you for considering helping my bs problem,
Cpt_Hughes
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth II Inventory Key Help?!

Post by Pyro »

To have inventory work, the mapmaker would have given them inventory options to begin with. This is why not all units have inventory. Are you trying to give units inventory or just trying to use inventory on units? You mentioned your local folder, so does that mean you are trying to modify existing maps and/or units?
Cpt_Hughes

Post by Cpt_Hughes »

Thanks for replying. I'm trying to do both actually. I had figured the unit's main special ability would show up automatically as inventory. Seeing the "I" key in preferences made me assume every unit had inventory. For instance I believe Yoshi from the bushido mod has to have map actions to use bow, rocket, and lotus? I was hoping to move all of those abilities into an inventory instead so he could use them anytime and anywhere minus the map actions. Or for a mortar dwarf, give him the option to use regular shot or 2 other special type of shots along with a strictly melee option. I'm working on custom hero units. Any idea how I could learn or get some custom inventories started?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

To implement inventory there are certain options that can be used. Some are needed in certain situations while others are not. One of the common ways to learn is by extracting plugins made by other people and playing around with them. Trial and error a lot of things. Read the Fear/Loathing mapmaking documents found in your Myth II folder to see what each option is for. Those documents are mostly just reference guides and won't answer all your questions, but they could help a bit. When stuck just make a thread in the mapmaking section of these forums and ask. It may be wise to run a search first in case your answer is already in here somewhere.

By default units don't come with inventory. Inventory was added by Magma many years ago, which explains why old maps and plugins don't make use of them. Remember that Myth will only read what is in your local folder if playing single player or in TCP/IP, but not while you are on the metaserver (online). For it to work online and with other people you must create a plugin with the tags you have in your local folder. To do this in Fear, go to file build plugin. Select the tags you want in it, give it a name, and add a URL if you want (not needed or use that space for a message). It will create the plugin in your plugins folder. When sharing a plugin with others, always ZIP the plugin to prevent issues with web browsers thinking the plugin is a text file.

For starters, if you want a unit to have inventory as an option you must modify their monster tag in Fear. Check the box that says "Carries multiple items". Next to that you will see a "Maximum" value. Set this to whatever you want to be the limit of inventory artifacts this unit type can hold. The highest value allowed is 9.

If you want the unit type to start with a set of inventory options without having to pick something up during a game, do this. Create a projectile group tag in Fear and add the projectile tags that match up to the inventory artifacts you want the unit to start with. Then go to the monster tag of the unit and select this new projectile group tag in the "Artifacts/Ammo" dropdown. Another way is to just add the projectile tags of the inventory options somewhere on the map for the unit to pick up. This can be useful if you want them to only have abilities when they find them, similar to how they are with ammo.

If you are not sure how to make artifacts, remember you need a projectile tag and an artifact tag linked to each other. The projectile tag gives it the look and properties of the item while the artifact tag makes it an inventory artifact item.

That should get you started.
Cpt_Hughes

Post by Cpt_Hughes »

Thank you very much Pyro! You've been a big help! I wasn't sure if it was a game problem or something I was just missing. I'll be using your instructions as reference to see if I can get this started :D Thanks again.