Thinking about a Laptop...

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Platinum

Thinking about a Laptop...

Post by Platinum »

I know Myth is old and all, but if my high-powered desktop can't handle it at its max settings, I'm wondering if a 15.6" laptop with Intel 4000 graphics will? I am just looking for a $500-$600 laptop, any ideas on my aforementioned question?

Also I had a Dell laptop that lasted me 7 years with windows XP. I've had way more issues with Windows 7. Any suggestions for another laptop brand in that price range? HP is not an option, I think they are the worst.
GodzFire

Re: Thinking about a Laptop...

Post by GodzFire »

It's nothing wrong with the form factor, your desktop just sucks.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Platinum wrote:...with Intel 4000 graphics will?
I've played Myth with Intel 4000 graphics. Always at max settings and no issue ever. Your desktop should run Myth just as fine if not better. Something is just seriously damaged with it that is not easy to spot unless you have the right tools or spare parts to try out. A faulty part doesn't have to completely stop working before it starts causing issues. No matter how "high-powered" a computer is, a faulty part will degrade it at best.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Yeah I mean this desktop should be capable of handling all the newest games at max settings, but for the things I need it to do, it's been very disappointing and frustrating. I'm on my 4th set of Bose speakers because they kept failing so I kept having to return them to the manufacturer. Computer just turned 2 years old too.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

GodzFire wrote:It's nothing wrong with the form factor, your desktop just sucks.

you don't speak thereby, be nicer !

Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Got the blue screen of death just now.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

And I can't use a mac as my gaming laptop because of the geometry of the keyboard layout. Only Toshiba and Dell make ones that would be compatible for what I need.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Platinum wrote:Got the blue screen of death just now.
Well the problem won't fix itself. At the very least you could run that RAM test I mentioned in the other thread as that does not require opening up your computer. If you're lucky that might be the issue. If not, then you at least narrowed down the list of what part might be dying.
erileykc

Post by erileykc »

Get a mac and remap the keyboard
Yankee
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

erileykc wrote:Get a mac and remap the keyboard

Actually... I just thought of something. I have remapped my keyboards for Myth, but there was something I haven't considered, so this isn't out of the question actually. Except for the fact that a 15" Mac Laptop will cost a boatload.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Platinum wrote:Except for the fact that a 15" Mac Laptop will cost a boatload.
Or not
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Question about backing up files...

I currently have an external hard drive that I use to basically just back up my entire Myth folder, plugins, etc. It also has movies, pics, music on it. However, its hard to work with and the program sucks. I could easily fit what I needed to fit on a 64 GB flash drive.

If I just copy/paste entire folders like my itunes, Myth folder, etc., onto the flash drive, is it going to work just the same if I load it onto another computer by dragging and dropping? Basically, just trying to understand the point of an external hard drive when all I wanna do is store my files in a place, update them as newer files take place, and recover them easily if I need to.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

This isn't an answer to your question, but a pretty cool easy to use (and free for the way you are doing it) backup service is Crashplan. They of course have paid cloud backup service, but you can download their software and use it for free if to schedule and backup your files to another computer (either at your location or any computer you have access to) or an attached storage device(HD/flashdrive/etc). The benefit of using software is that saves you from having to remember to back up regularly, and knows which folders you've added/deleted files from and protects you from accidently deleted files. You can tell it which folders to backup / ignore.

iTunes in my experience is kind of finicky. In theory it should 'just work' but you would need to replace the iTunes library on the destination computer with the library you have on your flash drive. (e.g. You have to save all your sound files AND the library (database) itself onto your flash drive because if you only have the MP3s you'd have to reimport all your MP3s into the iTunes library on the new computer - which would mean you would at least lose any playlists you had created and probably more info too)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Copy/pasting or dragging your Myth2 folder to a new location will work as expected. With some programs you can't just do this, but Myth2 is not one of them. You may have to reset your preferences if using a different computer as it will try to use your old ones rather than make fresh defaults which could be different (graphics settings) from the old computer.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Platinum wrote:And I can't use a mac as my gaming laptop because of the geometry of the keyboard layout. Only Toshiba and Dell make ones that would be compatible for what I need.
Get whatever Mac or Windows laptop fits your price and power needs, then buy a desktop USB keyboard and plug it in? I assume this would work, though I've never tried it.
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides