Myth 2 nVidia Surround Suggestion

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
eyceguy

Myth 2 nVidia Surround Suggestion

Post by eyceguy »

Hey folks! First post here!

First off, a big shout out thanks to the devs for keeping this game alive and well maintained. I especially enjoy and like the updates to the latest patch.

That said, I do have one suggestion that may have been overlooked.
See, I run a triple monitor setup and up until 1.7.2 I couldn't run M2 at resolutions higher than the hardcoded 1920x1080. Not a deal breaker at all. But imagine my excitement when I loaded up 1.8 and saw my 5760x1080 res staring back at me. The issue I have is that chat messages show up on my far left of my left monitor and the overhead map shows up on the far right of my right monitor.

Large image ahead warning :)
http://i.imgur.com/7fsEZAw.jpg?1

Lots of head turning involved. So my suggestion would be something along the lines of a x-scale for the in game UI. At 33% it would be perfectly positioned on my center monitor.

Thanks for hearing me out!
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Myth 2 nVidia Surround Suggestion

Post by Melekor »

Welcome, and thanks for the feedback. Always great to hear people are enjoying the updates. And nice screenshot :)

It's certainly possible to position the UI stuff in a fixed location instead of stretching it across the entire screen. The main problem would be how to determine the area where it should be: the middle 1/3rd for your setup, but I'm not sure it's possible to determine automatically in general. I suppose it could be done as a poweruser.txt option, where you could specify the position and size, or maybe just specify size and always center it.
eyceguy

Post by eyceguy »

Having it set in powerusers.txt would probably be ideal, what with all the different monitor setups and resolutions out there. I would assume trying to auto detect the resolution and scaling/centering from there would introduce problems. How could one tell if it is a multi-monitor setup or if it is someone using an ultrawide monitor where the issue wouldn't be problematic.

Maybe a launch off point would be similar to how Unreal Tournament 2K4 handles it. In one of the ini files there is a setting called ScaleHUDX and its set to a floating point number, 0.000000 by default. Now for my setup I use the value 0.333333 which centers it on my main screen. Would something like that be doable?

**edit**
Here is a page with some screens and more detail
http://www.wsgf.org/dr/unreal-tournament-2004
Do note that with UT2k4, the ScaleX doesn't auto correct the Y value so the HUD looks vertically stretched.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

To be honest, while it wouldn't necessarily work in *all* cases, if aspect ratio >16/9 then put on middle 1/3 is probably a pretty good heuristic for the majority of folks, with more detailed settings in poweruser.txt.