Myth II 1.8 New Mac OS X Installer (post Multiplayer Fix)

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
ShackletonEH

Myth II 1.8 New Mac OS X Installer (post Multiplayer Fix)

Post by ShackletonEH »

All,
I downloaded the updated Myth II 1.8 installer for Mac OS X. The installer opens to the first screen and then freezes! I can't click on Continue. I have tried to restart my computer and then try again, I have downloaded the file from the The Tain, and Project Magma but to no avail.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

Thanks
ShackletonEH
Attachments
Installer Screen
Installer Screen
Myth II 1.8.0 InstallerScreenSnapz001.jpg (121.02 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
Last edited by ShackletonEH on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth II 1.8 New Mac OS X Installer (post Multiplayer Fix

Post by Pyro »

What version of OS X are you on? Did you recently update between the time it worked on the previous installer and now?
ShackletonEH

Post by ShackletonEH »

I am on Mac OS 10.7.5. I have not updated my OS recently. I am ok not updating to the new 1.8 version if I can get a copy of the earlier installer of ver.1.8. That installer worked on my computer
ShackletonEH

Post by ShackletonEH »

The new installer is Build 424. My machine is running Build 422. The problem is with the new ver1.8 update.

Regards,
ShackletonEH
Last edited by ShackletonEH on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShackletonEH

Post by ShackletonEH »

Since the installation of Build 422 I have upgraded my Java install on Mac OS 10.7.5. The new Java version is 7 Update 25 (build 1.7.0_25-b15).
- I cannot move from the Introduction screen when I open the Myth II Installer application.

A potential solution to install Myth II build 424:
- I opened the Myth II Installer application folder and went to the Java application in the Resources Folder.
- I can't upgrade the current install as I cannot choose the Myth II folder.
I will try and reinstall from my CD later.

I am looking for a simpler solution. Any suggestions Pyro?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I think Apple updated their Java version to fix the bug. Can you make sure your Java is up to date.

From http://lists.apple.com/archives/java-de ... 00055.html:

Posted June 21: "As of 10:00AM PST today, Apple has revised the "Java for OS X 2013-004" and "Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 16" updates to fix a widely reported issue with the original updates that shipped to customers on Tuesday."
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

ShackletonEH wrote:Since the installation of Build 422 I have upgraded my Java install on Mac OS 10.7.5. The new Java version is 7 Update 25 (build 1.7.0_25-b15).
- I cannot move from the Introduction screen when I open the Myth II Installer application.

A potential solution to install Myth II build 424:
- I opened the Myth II Installer application folder and went to the Java application in the Resources Folder.
- I can't upgrade the current install as I cannot choose the Myth II folder.
I will try and reinstall from my CD later.

I am looking for a simpler solution. Any suggestions Pyro?
Java 7 implies you installed the Oracle one, which is broken. I suggest uninstalling it and using the default one that gets installed by the OS. (Or you may be able to switch which one is used by using Java Preferences app.)
ShackletonEH

Post by ShackletonEH »

I tried to uninstall Oracle Java and use the default Mac OS X Java. I could not get past the Introduction screen using the Mac OS version.

I reinstalled Oracle Java and was able to get to to the Install Type screen (where I could get to before). I will try and see if I can install the update from a fresh install.

Is it possible to download the installer for Build 422? For now I will have a backup that I can use if needed.

Thanks,
ShackletonEH
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Java 7 has caused tons of problems. At my place of employment it's broken all kinds of apps. We advise people delete 7 and go back to a recent version of 6. Of course the Java auto-update (at least on windows) is insidious and near impossible to turn off, but 6 is far far better.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

ShackletonEH wrote:I tried to uninstall Oracle Java and use the default Mac OS X Java. I could not get past the Introduction screen using the Mac OS version.

I reinstalled Oracle Java and was able to get to to the Install Type screen (where I could get to before). I will try and see if I can install the update from a fresh install.

Is it possible to download the installer for Build 422? For now I will have a backup that I can use if needed.

Thanks,
ShackletonEH
The 422 build shouldn't be any different from 424 as far as the installer is concerned. Can you elaborate a bit more about "I couldn't get past the Introduction screen"?
ShackletonEH

Post by ShackletonEH »

When I open the installer the Introduction Screen is displayed but then the "Continue" button does not work. I tried clicking on it and selecting it from my keyboard. Neither worked. The installer is stuck.

Regarding Java 7 - I will delete Oracle Java 7 but that could not be the issue because the installer for Build 424 worked perfectly.

Regards,
ShackletonEH
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

ShackletonEH wrote:When I open the installer the Introduction Screen is displayed but then the "Continue" button does not work. I tried clicking on it and selecting it from my keyboard. Neither worked. The installer is stuck.
This may be the issue I quoted earlier in the thread with Apple Java that should be addressed if you do a software update.

We'll also be releasing an updated installer that should work around the Oracle Java bug, but there's a couple issues we also want to fix, so it may take a week or so for it to appear.
ShackletonEH

Post by ShackletonEH »

Hey that's great! I look forward to the new installer.

ShackletonEH
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

While you wait for the next hotfix, try this as a manual install for now. (Requires your copy of Myth II to be a recent version like v1.7.x as this doesn't include some older files.) Two folders are in there. One has files you place in your Myth II folder and the other has files you place in your plugins folder. Just make sure to check back here every now and then to try the new installer when it is ready to be sure that the installer issue is fixed for you.
ShackletonEH

Post by ShackletonEH »

Pyro,
That worked perfectly. I have saved the manual install for now and will keep an eye on this thread for the updated installer, once its made.

Thanks a ton,
ShackletonEH