linux and wine problems with update 1.8 (Jinn, LAN, ...)

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
takreem

linux and wine problems with update 1.8 (Jinn, LAN, ...)

Post by takreem »

I updated my myth to version 1.8 (build 424)

When I want to load Jinn solo game, I got the message "missing plugins: jinn mappack v 1". But I definetely have the newest version of Jinn mappack plugin installed in appropriate folder - it worked before update.

What is wrong? Does someone have the same issue?
Last edited by takreem on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khadrelt

Re: Jinn doesn't work in 1.8

Post by Khadrelt »

Jinn's working fine for me. May try re-downloading the plugins?
The cake is a lie.
takreem

Post by takreem »

I redownloaded jinn before posting. Didn't help.

Actually, I should have mentioned that I'm using wine. I don't know if it matters, because other plugins (and jinn on previous versions) work flawlessly.

However, if jinn generally works in 1.8 I must have problem with my specific configuration. So it's probably not a bug in update and it's nothing to worry about.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Works for me as well. The filenames and md5sums for my version are:

7ddc32d62baf385bbd7625f60319ea9f *JINN Mappack v.1
779f54711f96ff498802f66bc7a5c151 *JINN Tagset v.1
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

takreem wrote:I got the message "missing plugins: jinn mappack v 1".
Are you sure about this? It doesn't really make sense for the mappack to be a missing plugin. The missing dependencies dialog is only used to display missing tagset dependencies, so it should be the tagset in the message if anything. You didn't rename the plugin files or anything weird like that did you?

If you re-downloaded the plugins, are you sure you have only the new version in your plugins and not both the old and new versions? If you have both, it could be messing something up.

If you have only the new versions, and the filenames and checksums match, and it still isn't working, you could try deleting your "plugin cache" file in the tags folder. The plugin cache is supposed to automatically update for new files based on detecting changed modification time, but it's possible that this doesn't work properly under WINE.

EDIT: Wait, are you trying to load an old replay or saved game rather than starting a new one? This won't work unless you have the original version of the plugins which the film/save was created with.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Are you sure you have them in the "plugins" folder instead of some subfolder?
takreem

Post by takreem »

I tried to load an old replay/save because there was no "JINN Mappack" option on the campaign list from the "new game"

And my "old save" wasn't exactly old because my previous Jinn plugin was identical to the one I re-downloaded - theirs md5sums match and match also mdsums posted above.

I'm sure (triple-checked that) that message informs about missing mappack, and not tagset. Tagset and jinn interface were working.

Then I followed your advice - I deleted file "plugin cache" from tags directory and everything started to work again.

BUT... after I quit the game and open it anew I can't play Jinn again. And now the game doesn't see neither JInn mappack nor jinn tagset.

So every time i want to play jinn I have to delete "plugin cache". The problem affects only Jinn and no other plugin (I have many). Yet.

I'm not sure whether this is important at all (as it turned out it's minor annoying issue with single plugin under wine) but thank you for your help!
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Does it work if you use the native Linux version of Myth II instead of the Windows version under Wine?

Can you post your myth logs when starting with a bad cache and without one?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Perhaps it has something to do with the dot in the file name. Does Wine treat extensions in any special way? The Jinn mapset and tagset both end as "v.1", so Wine might be treating it as some sort of extension.
takreem

Post by takreem »

Myrd wrote:Does it work if you use the native Linux version of Myth II instead of the Windows version under Wine?

Can you post your myth logs when starting with a bad cache and without one?
Ok, now I'm pretty sure that it's not the wine-only problem. The native linux version doesn't work in very similar way, although it lists jinn as available campaign on the campaign list, while wine-windows version doesn't. But when I choose it, then it complains about lack of "jinn tagset" anyway. As in wine-windows version deleting "plugin cache" file resolves the problem temporarily.

The log file of badly working cache file differs from "good" log only in one place and looks like this:

Code: Select all

Myth II Build 424 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 
[alternate:Myth II Build 422 running under Linux]

----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
DEBUG: Updating monolithic tag cache:
	Initial count: 25
	Number removed: 2
	Number added: 0
	New count: 23
or:

Initial count: 23
	Number removed: 0
	Number added: 0
	New count: 23
When everything works the logs states:

Initial count: 0
	Number removed: 0
	Number added: 25
	New count: 25
Additionally in native linux version it is possible to force game to load for example first level of jinn solo campaign. It doesn't load, and log file contains the following:

OpenAL: Loaded OpenAL library 'libopenal.so.1'.
OpenAL initialized successfully.
Running OpenGL 1.4 at 1024 x 768
Starting mesh "ð - The Sand Songs" with 1 plugin...
	JINN Mappack v.1
Using 1.8.0 gameplay...
OpenGL: Initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, MaxAnisotropy=8, MSAASamples=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseMipMaps=0, UseNPO2Textures=0, UseShaders=0, UpdateCMapChunked=1, UseCMapTiles=0, UseAppleClientStorage=0
Error: File system Open in Myth2Code/definitions.c, line #471: couldn't read header for sound definition '#ade'.
Error: File system Open in Myth2Code/definitions.c, line #622: ambient sound definition postprocess failed on '#amb desert'.
Error: File system Open in Myth2Code/definitions.c, line #622: mesh definition postprocess failed on 'Jinn 07 Pomosa'.
Btw, when i'm using linux version i can't login to gate of storms.net because it complains that my myth version is too old. It's because this is build 422 and not 424 or why? (not that i ever played in multi but maybe some linux user will want to)

Edit: additional log file informations. should I change the subject from "Jinn doesn't work in 1.8" to something like "Jinn doesn't work properly in 1.8 in linux" to avoid confusion or it doesn't matter?
Last edited by takreem on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yes, GoS requires a minimum of 424. Can you see if it lets you connect to MariusNet? For guest accounts over there, just use "guest" for login and leave the password blank. Can you check if you can load a plugin that has a dot in the name the way Jinn has?

The title won't matter, but feel free to add Linux in there if you want. :)
takreem

Post by takreem »

Pyro wrote:Yes, GoS requires a minimum of 424. Can you see if it lets you connect to MariusNet? For guest accounts over there, just use "guest" for login and leave the password blank. Can you check if you can load a plugin that has a dot in the name the way Jinn has?
1. I can log to MariusNet with guest account

2. I checked two plugins with dot in names.
a) "Magma - Mazz VI (v.2)" - it's working without problems.
b) "D-DAY 1944 HR 1.9" - it doesn't work (and it worked in version 1.7.2. BUT: it's not working not because game can't see the plugin, but because plugin crashes.

However, I found much more serious issue with native linux 1.8 version - I CAN'T play on LAN - even if i'm the only player I get the following message:

"Some players with blacklisted build numbers (355, 422) are present in the game. Please ask them to upgrade before continuing"

And the game doesn't start at all!

In main menu in upper left corner we can see the game presents itself as "version 1.8.0 build 424" but it's probably not true, because in myth_log.txt we can see "Myth II Build 422 running under Linux"
Pyro

Re: linux and wine problems with update 1.8 (Jinn, LAN, ...)

Post by Pyro »

We've got a report about Linux 424 build thinking its 422. Thanks for confirming that. When you tried "D-DAY 1944 HR 1.9" and it crashes, what does the myth log say for that one?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I tried the Linux version and can confirm the build number mismatch issues (also responsible for not being able to play on LAN). We'll fix this...

However, Jinn seems to work fine for me in singleplayer. It shows the Mappack under Campaigns and selecting it does activate the corresponding Tagset. And the game starts fine and this works between starts.

I've not tried under wine, however.

What kind of filesystem are you using, out of curiosity? (I am using ext4, you can find out using the 'mount' command...)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Pyro wrote: When you tried "D-DAY 1944 HR 1.9" and it crashes, what does the myth log say for that one?
I was able to repro this too, here's the mythlog errors:
Error: Data Corrupted in Myth2Code/shapes.c, line #1898: invalid bitmap data for bitmap "" (index 28) of "River in winter" collection
Error: Data Corrupted in Myth2Code/definitions.c, line #622: collection definition postprocess failed on 'River in winter'.
Error: Data Corrupted in Myth2Code/definitions.c, line #622: mesh definition postprocess failed on 'River in winter'.
EDIT: Looks like that bitmap has a width and height of -1, which is invalid but was ignored by 1.7.2.