Jon God's Detail Texture Megapack causing BSOD wtf

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
myth_is_pleasure

Jon God's Detail Texture Megapack causing BSOD wtf

Post by myth_is_pleasure »

So I'm running Myth wonderfully and enjoying the hell out of Jon God's work, but a friend of mine who also runs very similar hardware and the same OS is BSOD'ing when he drops Jon's megapack in the plugins folder.

He has Win 7 64 bit, nvidia 670, i7 sandy bridge. Doubt hardware has anything to do with it, but I can provide whatever details you guys want. The BSOD dmp file said the problem was originating with the "ntoskrnl.exe".

My friend is otherwise running 1.8 just fine, and the older dtex from darth raven is not causing any problems. Is anyone else having a problem with the mega pack? I can't replicate whatever is causing the crash and I'd like for him to get the benefit of the megapack.

Thanks!
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Jon God's Detail Texture Megapack causing BSOD wtf

Post by Melekor »

BSODs can't be caused by user mode programs like Myth - only by hardware malfunctions or driver bugs. If Myth is causing a BSOD it is only by triggering one of these underlying problems with the drivers or hardware.

Things to do: google the particular error message from the BSOD, update drivers, do hardware diagnostics
punkUser
Site Admin

Re: Jon God's Detail Texture Megapack causing BSOD wtf

Post by punkUser »

Yeah I would start by updating drivers, running a memtest and potentially running some other stress tests on the system. As Melekor explained, on modern operating systems blue screens are either malfunctioning hardware or malfunctioning kernel mode drivers (graphics driver has a kernel mode portion for instance, but it is not usually an issue).