Has anyone installed on Linux lately?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Darkoath

Has anyone installed on Linux lately?

Post by Darkoath »

I'm trying to install from an original CD on Linux Mint 13. It appears to me that most of the documentation I have found for installation is outdated; otherwise, I just might be terrible with Linux.

Should the installer in the tarball open a window? I click it in the folder after going into the terminal and doing the tar -xzvf Myth2_172_Linux.tar.gz but it does not react to my clicks. If I try to run it from the terminal the it tells me that installer is a directory.

Does anyone know what I need to do? Any help would be appreciated. I'm very happy to see this game being carried on like this.
akula65

Re: Has anyone installed on Linux lately?

Post by akula65 »

I am not a Linux Mint user, but in openSUSE 11.4 I can successfully use either of the two methods you are trying to use.

If I extract the archive contents, then I get a directory called "files" and an executable called "installer." Then I can just left-click the installer icon, and the installation pop-up window opens to begin the installation process. Prior to running the installer, I make a point of opening the Myth II CD-ROM with Dolphin to guarantee that the disc is mounted properly.

If I use the command line method, I am obliged to enter the following to initiate the installation process since the current directory is not in the path (this assumes of course that I have changed directory to the directory containing "installer"):

>./installer

At this point the installation pop-up window opens and the process begins.

You might try using the ./installer command and see what happens.