screen freeze up

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
pally

screen freeze up

Post by pally »

hi pallidice here.
I have a problem with my screen freezing. the internet does not go down or cut out and myth2 itself does not crash. When I am in a game the screen freezes... I can still move the units around in the correct directions and stuff i was told on vent and i just have to quit to the lobby which is fine as well.

Computer Specs
Computer- ACPI x86
Processer- Intel Pentium dual CPU E2180 @ 2GHZ
Display adapters- Intel g33/G31 express chipset family
Monitor- Generic Non-PNP
OS- windows 7 32 bit
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: screen freeze up

Post by Pyro »

Try to see if this will update your graphics drivers. Click on the button to run it. Does the problem happen often? Does it happen if you play single player? What rendering option do you use in Myth?
pally

Post by pally »

My settings for graphics are as follows:
NO boxes checked
Running in Open GL
Tex Cache 512mb
Resolution 1280x1024
by the way ive tried lowering the 512 to 128 on industrys sgestion but it did not do anything. Also it happens in all the games ive played on multiplay including coop ones. but ive never tryed it on single player. i could try but sometimes it doesnt happen if i play 3 mazz games of 2 hours each but sometimes it happens in 3 mazz games all within the first 10 to 20 min and they rs the game everytime so that means it was within a 45 min to an hour period.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Sounds like a video driver problem. Did you try what Pyro said and update your drivers? Could you post your myth_log.txt as well?
pally

Post by pally »

when i update my drivers through the program found in the control panels it says there up to date even know the last update was 2009. when i tryed to do what pyro told me it did not work so it says on the site to dl manually and run the program. which i tryed to do but when i open the program it just loads 1 screen that a green bar goes up quickly and then disapears and it doesnt show anything after than. Im almost postive the program is not working. here is my myth log.
Attachments
myth_log.txt
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Does it happen in windowed mode as well or just full screen?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Reminds me of an issue I would have with my old computer. Something about its graphics drivers caused the screen to freeze if I Alt-Tab out and then back into the game. I would just need to unplug the hdmi cable to a second screen and replug it in to trigger the screen to refresh and fix itself.

Anyway to do the same in this situation? Would the auto adjust button on the monitor help? Ideally a way to prevent this from even happening would be better, but sometimes you have to work with what you got.
pally

Post by pally »

i dont think ive ever had it happen in windowed mode or in single player. however i dont usually play myth single player or in windowed mode... at least not long enough where its ever happened. I Shall try what u sugest next time it happens and try the monitor adjust button or alt tabing and going back into the game.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

pally wrote:i dont think ive ever had it happen in windowed mode or in single player. however i dont usually play myth single player or in windowed mode... at least not long enough where its ever happened. I Shall try what u sugest next time it happens and try the monitor adjust button or alt tabing and going back into the game.
Yeah, note that if you set it to "windowed" mode but then set the resolution to the maximum, it will run in "borderless windowed" mode, so it will look like fullscreen, but may fix your issue. It also improves Alt-tab speed and other stuff so it's nice :)
pally

Post by pally »

well i tried using the screen adjeust thing, and alt tabing and going back into myth but it did not work. I shall try the new sugestion of windowed mode. thx for trying to help guys.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

What setting do you normally use in your Myth prefs (Windowed, Automatic, or Fullscreen)? Also do you happen to have an extra connection for another screen like another vga, dvi, or hdmi port? If you did, you could just plug/unplug another screen if you had one. While not ideal it at least temporarily solved the issue on my old computer.
pally

Post by pally »

i was running automatic. now i was trying windowed mode and it still does it. i dont know much about my comp i would have to look in depth to find out if i could plug in another monitor. i do have a second 1 but i dont even know if it will hook up.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Some newer computers come with more than one connection for the monitor, or if you have a graphics card (which you don't) it may have two connections instead of one.

When you tried windowed mode, did you try a resolution that is smaller than your desktop resolution? Just to see if that helps. What about fullscreen? If automatic was what you used to use, maybe fullscreen reacts better.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I'm guessing it probably won't happen if you use the software renderer. Not a great solution by any means, but potentially better than buying new hardware if you are short on cash.
pally

Post by pally »

do you mean software render , as in in preferences instead of openGL or direct3D. I have tried that and im pretty sure it still happens. However i shall try it again to make sure it did not work. And I am short on cash and even if i wasnt im not sure i know how to put an extra video card in my box.