Won't load Level 23, Twice Born

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
DSK

Won't load Level 23, Twice Born

Post by DSK »

I'm using a 10.7.5 Macbook Pro, using Myth II version 1.7.2 Universal Build 374. I downloaded the game two days ago, using an old Myth II disc and the most recent patch. So far I have had no problems, until now. When I try to load this level, I get past the narration sequence and to the point with a blue loading bar. It will load, the bar never filling the space, and then it will return to the Myth II title screen. Under the bar it says (copying map from CD) This disappears after a few moments, and it is only after it disappears that it will return to the title screen I've had no problems like this for any of the other levels, and this problem only occurred after I shut down my computer and turned it back on, I have no idea if this is linked to the issue.

Thanks for any help you can offer, I played this game as a kid (by as a kid I mean when i was about 3) and it has been great being able to play it again, especially now that I can actually understand the depth of the game.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Won't load Level 23, Twice Born

Post by Pyro »

In your "Myth II" folder you will find a "myth_log" text file. Open it and copy/paste its contents into your next post. It may contain clues as to what is your issue. Keep in mind, the log gets cleared each time you load Myth2. So it would be a good idea to try to load Twice Born and once it takes you to the main menu, just quit the game and copy the log.

When you installed the game, you must do a "large install". A small install would only place some game files into your computer and would require the CD to load other files when needed. It also possible the file containing the data for that map is corrupt and might need to be replaced, but first let us check that log.
DSK

Post by DSK »

2013-01-06 22:38:30
Myth II 32-Bit |iUniversal|p Build 374 running under MacOS 1075 (Intel) ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine | Intel Inc. | OpenGL 2.1
Loading Patch Files...
Patch 1.2
Patch MariusNet
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.4 Interface
Patch 1.5
Patch 1.7 Templates
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue.mov'.
Running OpenGL at 1280 x 800 (VSync ON)
Starting mesh "Twice Born"...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
OpenGL: initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, Use32BitTextures=1, UseAppleClientStorage=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1
Error: Warning in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #1235: file_read_from_position() failed in tag_file_read()
Error: Warning in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #1235: file_read_from_position() failed in tag_file_read()
Error: Warning in /Myth/Myth2Code/shapes.c, line #2433: failed to bootstrap 24 battle 2 collection.
Error: Warning in /Myth/Myth2Code/definitions.c, line #593: collection definition postprocess failed on '24 battle 2'.
Error: Warning in /Myth/Myth2Code/definitions.c, line #593: mesh definition postprocess failed on '24 battle 2'.
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue.mov'.
Closing Myth.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

DSK wrote: Error: Warning in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #1235: file_read_from_position() failed in tag_file_read()
Error: Warning in /Myth/Myth2Code/shapes.c, line #2433: failed to bootstrap 24 battle 2 collection.
These errors indicate that your game files are almost certainly corrupt. As Pyro said, if you haven't done a full install, that would be the first thing to try. Otherwise, download a backup copy of the game or find another CD.

Here are the correct md5 checksums for the tag files:

Code: Select all

63de591595aba9521667b57120092b3e *international large install
31d0cec54ed75a0fb49ebfc43aaef0da *international small install
6c473476d80e9f6fd069468d4b45be40 *large install
5335a2d28f60f1b60fcb8745534484ac *medium install
c390941fe0693503a841ed85961b54d8 *small install
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yeah, as for how to find the MD5 checksums with Mac, try the following. One method is opening Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app). Type "md5", type a space, drag the file into the terminal window (it adds the file path by doing that), and press Enter. The command line returns the checksum. Do that for each of the files in the "tags" folder except for cache as it won't matter.

The ones that match Mel's values will mean they are the same and only the corrupt ones will be different. Keep in mind, if you are using a different localization (not English) of Myth2 then they will be different values which is normal.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

are those the checksums of the bungie delivered Myth II?

i ask because i ran md5 on half a dozen large install files I have of Myth II installs ranging from 1.5 to a recent beta and none of them match that checksum. they are all 6c473476d80e9f6fd069468d4b45be40. if it were one or even two files i would assume they are corrupt, but i can't imagine how all those different installs in different folders on different hard drives could have gotten corrupt - some installs i haven't played/used in years.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

You're right VR, I reran md5sum and got the same number you mentioned. I created the text file containing those md5sums back in 2009 and I don't recall any reason I would've had a different sum for large install. Anyway, I edited my post with the correct number. Good catch!
DSK

Post by DSK »

Pyro mentioned a large install, and Melekor mentioned a full install. Whats the difference?

Anyways, I moved my Myth Folder to trash and emptied it, which i assume uninstalled it. I tried to reinstall and I chose to install Myth II 1.7.2 from CD. I didn't see options for large install, full install, small install etc, however while it was installing, under the installation bar it said something along the lines of "copying large install files." It also said that for small install files. At the end it said install failed, however it still downloaded the tags for large, medium and full installs, as well as the international small and large install. I couldnt open them because the classic environment was no longer supported, so I decided to try again, this time choosing the upgrade installation type and choosing the Myth II file that had each of those tags. The install succeeded this time.

I shift clicked new game to get to Twice Born and once again it didn't work. However, I was able to get Twice Born to work on a different computer, however that one already had a previous version of Myth II on it. I downloaded the most recent update and had the same disc in that computer and it did work. Unfortunately I need it on this computer.

It's worth noting that my disk has visible marks on it, however I don't know if its a problem with the disk cause it did work on a different computer

What are the md5 checksums?

Anyways, i followed Pyro's instructions, and for the 5 tags, international large install, international small install, large install, medium install, and small install, the only one that was different from Melekor's values was the large install. What does that tell us?

I'm using an english version of Myth II.

Where can I download a backup copy of the game?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Normally programs call it a "full install" if they have such options, but I called it a "large install" because that is what the Myth2 CD calls it. Both mean the same in this case. The reason the 1.7.2 installer did not mention if it is a large install, is because the updated installer is designed to just do a large/full install. There is no practical reason to pick the small install these days. (The small install option would only place some of the game files on your computer and the game would load the rest from the CD. Useful when hard drives had less capacity.)

I don't know if this is different for Mac programs, but at least in Windows, deleting a program is not the same as uninstalling it. This is due to some files being created in places you can't normally access that keep track of that program. But it is fine to delete Myth2 as it shouldn't cause any sort of issues you might notice with other programs if you delete them instead of uninstalling them.

It is possible to have a disk work on one computer but not another. Some disk readers are better than others or maybe you installed it on the other computer back when the CD was less scratched. Since your other computer has a working set of the 5 foundation tag files, you can copy them over to the computer you are trying to get Myth2 on. Worst case scenario you can just keep a copy of those 5 files in the "tags" folder. Then run the latest update and point it to the folder with that "tags" subfolder. The update will install the missing files you need.

A MD5 checksum is a value used to help determine if a file is the same as another. A way to identify the file basically. If your files have the same md5 checksums as Melekor's then it is most probable that your files are exactly alike. If one of those files has a different checksum then they are not the same. This could mean you have a different version or the file got corrupt, perhaps from your disk reader being unable to copy the file from the CD due to a scratch in the way.

There is no legal download for Myth2, so you can either find a copy somewhere like someone you know, eBay, Amazon, etc. or you can just copy the files from the computer that worked. You could also try to clean the surface of the disk, it could help.
DSK

Post by DSK »

Thanks for the info.

I looked at the md5 checksums of the computer it worked on, a 2003 imac. They are all the same as Melekor's except the large install, which is different from both his and this computer.

How can I copy the correct files over to this computer?

How can I "point" the update at those tag files?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

DSK wrote:How can I copy the correct files over to this computer?
USB flash drives or if they are on the same network, there should be some way to share files. But if the large install is still different, then it would be best to find a different copy.

If you find a different copy, you don't need to reinstall it. Just copy over the file you need, which in this case would be "large install". Just override the one you already have with the new one.
DSK wrote:How can I "point" the update at those tag files?
When it asks you where to install the update. You browse or type the directory where you want the files... which would be where ever your "Myth II" folder is located.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Could you re-run the 1.7.2 installer to install from CD and when it says Install Failed, can you open /Applications/Utilities/Console and copy/attach the output that's shown there? That may help us diagnose what's going wrong with the installation.